This May Belong In Disease/diagnosis, But I Have A Question

IloveSpaceboy

I check on all my fish in the morning, do a body check to make sure they're looking all right since I was overstocked. With Poe I check him numerous times throughout the day since Mithra died and I'm worried about what he's incurred from being abandoned.

For Mithra's frayed fins I treated the tank with Melafix the way it said on the bottle, did the water change etc. The top of my filter can be knocked off and was by my cat. I came home and found it in Poe's tank. I look at him to make sure he's okay and he looks fine. I look at him just now and it looks like he's been scraped up under his chin and the lower part of one of his gill covers. The little marks look red like blood and I am freaking out. I don't want to lose him too even though I know I can't really change anything if he just can't deal, but I love little Poe.

I can't make it to the petstore anytime soon. The water is pristine, I checked it this afternoon. The reading were ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0, nitrate - 10 (I think I typed the nitrite and nitrate in the right order. The one that should be 0 was 0).

So, does this sound like it could be some sign of a disease or is he scraped up from my too playful kitten (who is trying to get into boxes right now)?

There are a few spots that are visible in this pic. The one is by his lips, then the dark red strips on his gill cover and one on his chin. It's hard to see though.

Poe-Diseaseresearch.jpg

I thought a visual might help a little.

I will check the ph as well and cover the tank.

pH is 7.2, pH from tap is 7.2 as well. The tank is covered, but the top to the (tape came off) slides into the little space that's between the filter and the tank cover. Lily is overly frisky tonight and Pepper doesn't want to play so she is running all over the place like a mad cat. I have re-taped the filter cover so hopefully it won't fall again.

Poor Poe, Why do things like this happen to such sweet fish? I sure hope it is nothing more than a little scrape.

I can't tell you what to do with your fish and I am no expert by any means, but if Poe were one of mine, I would start feeding medicated food. There are plenty of people out there that do that just as a precaution during quarantine. I did it with all of mine except for Dickey Moe who was my first.

I don't blame you for worrying especially after what happened to poor Mithra! I sure hope someone out there can identify the problem for you by looking at the photo. It's a good thing you take such clear pictures!

Fins and fingers crossed over here for Poe :tou

I was just coming in to find this to update. The redness that I was seeing is completely gone! He looks fantastic and is more active and attention demanding than I thought he could be. The only thing is that I think he's lonely. Whenever I go to the tank, he comes right up to the front and stares at me. When I'm not in view he hangs out around the bottom. I put him in 2 gallon when I do a water change so he doesn't have to worry about the current in the water. I put the 2 gallon by my 29 gallon and he is trying to get to Mars and Phoenix and they are trying to get to him.

I can't wait to introduce them, though I know I have to wait at least another week. He is looking better than he was before. So, I do believe that I have myself another fish to raise.

I was just coming in to find this to update. The redness that I was seeing is completely gone! He looks fantastic and is more active and attention demanding than I thought he could be. The only thing is that I think he's lonely. Whenever I go to the tank, he comes right up to the front and stares at me. When I'm not in view he hangs out around the bottom. I put him in 2 gallon when I do a water change so he doesn't have to worry about the current in the water. I put the 2 gallon by my 29 gallon and he is trying to get to Mars and Phoenix and they are trying to get to him.

I can't wait to introduce them, though I know I have to wait at least another week. He is looking better than he was before. So, I do believe that I have myself another fish to raise.

Make sure you use a plastic seperator- very inexpensive- that has holes in it first- for introduction- just a suggestion.

Eric

Make sure you use a plastic seperator- very inexpensive- that has holes in it first- for introduction- just a suggestion.

Eric

I've never had a problem in introducing my fish to new ones. They have all gotten along fantastic and Mars is always the first one to welcome a new friend. I just watch them and if there's a problem then I'll figure something out. Thanks for the suggestion, if I need to I'll go out and get one.

Archived