Bottom Sitting

Guest Traeanne

Guest Traeanne

There is a 5" veiltail at a local aquarium shop that has been resting on the bottom of the tank with clamped fins for about a month now. I have repeatedly asked that they quarantine the fish but I have not seen any action taken yet. Due to the size, the fish is very expensive but I have been considering bringing it home to try to treat myself (am I crazy to bring home a long-term sick fish?). What recomendations do you have as far as treatment and possible causes?

This is a really hard one to answer without any stats on water quality etc. But having said that, perhaps your lfs isn't looking after the quality of water very well and this can cause extended periods of resting until the immunity becomes so compromised that the fish suffers further :(

I think with some tlc, the fish may build up strength but only time would tell.

Well, if the pet store would not do anything and you have room and are willing to buy it then I think that it is a good idea to buy the sick fish.

As for the problem with the fish, It is most likely swim bladder disease in which case I would not feed it for 2-3 days and then feed it peas. It may also have something to do with overcrowding/water quality or there may be some type of parasites but I am not sure. In any event, I would add some aquarium salt as it is something of a cure-all.

Well, if the pet store would not do anything and you have room and are willing to buy it then I think that it is a good idea to buy the sick fish.

As for the problem with the fish, It is most likely swim bladder disease in which case I would not feed it for 2-3 days and then feed it peas. It may also have something to do with overcrowding/water quality or there may be some type of parasites but I am not sure. In any event, I would add some aquarium salt as it is something of a cure-all.

:unsure: Please don't try and guess at diagnosis.Bottom sitting could be alot of different things-some being pretty serious.Yes,it could be swim bladder,but it also could be poor water quality,bacterial infection,Parasites,etc. You really need to know more of a situation before you can diagnose and pass on a cure.I know that you're only trying to help,but someone's fish could be lost for the wrong diagnosis. :o

Guest Traeanne

Well, without any more info, you would suggest quarantining with just salt? My only extra tank is 10 gal, would that be big enough for a 5" goldfish during his treatments?

I think that 10 gallons would be just enough. In my short 3 years of experience, I have found that most problems can be greatly helped and avoided by keeping the water quality good and by using aquarium salt.

I would just quarantine the fish and keep the water quality and temp. perfect and adding some salt would (probably) help too.

But like I (and devs) said, this is not easy without more information and it is unlikely that the problem will be cured with what I have reccomended.

Please update us on any more symptoms/behavior changes and Good Luck!

Archived