Why Does He Always Bottom Sit?

Jon

Well, my little mr brain always seems to bottom sit. hes been doing this for quite a long time now and i thought i would ask why.

ammonia-0

nitrite-0

nitrate-20

ph-7.3

55 gallons, running for a few months

wisper 60 filter(i know, its not enough)

i change my water when ever the nitrates get to 30 ppm (peaches starts getting sbd)

5 fish. 2, 4 inch, 2, 3 inch and ,1, 2 inch

prime conditioner

no meds added

no new fish

blood worms, peas, wardley flakes and pelets (soaked)

no unsual findings

i guess the bottom sitting is unusual behavior, even though he laways does it.

btw, my lights are only on 4-6 hours a day

thanks in advanced

Have you ever seen any signs of Parasites? Clamped fins/split fins/flashing/scratching/gasping/gills swollen open,or pale tattered looking gills,etc?

nope...

he occasionally comes out, but most of the time, he just sits in the same spot. could it be that the current is too strong in the tank?

What color is his poop? Maybe he has a mild bacterial problem?

Also, how does he act when you feed him just peas? My beloved Ogopogo had about a 2 1/2 week period where if I fed him anything but peas he'd lay at the bottom. How long has he been doing this?

hes been doing it ever since i moved him to the new tank, which does have alot of currentand he is small(the plants sway back and foward about 3-4 inches). his poop is the same color of his food and the right 'thickness'...

i'll feed him nothing but peas for a few days. if things dont get better, should i feed him medicated food?

How long has he been in this new tank? Maybe he's temporarily stressed? (Though you did say he's been doing this for awhile...)

A few of my fish who would bottom sit occasionally or just act lethargic are now on antibiotic food (after a good amount of others died off :( ) and seem to have perked up. I think this could help your fish once you rule out everything else first. Hopefully someone will come along and give you a second opinion on this...

Archived