Sick Goldfish

Guest rickpt

I have an existing aquarium that I moved to a new location. All pH, ammomia, etc. levels are good but my goldfish keep dying. They tend to get lethargic 1st and then expire. There is no visible disease process going on. The only thing new to the aquarium are artificial plants. Can new atrificial plants be adding toxins to the water? I just changed the water and took the plants out and the fish seem to be getting healthier. The only thing I can think of is that the plastic material or base material is adding toxins to the water. I had rinsed them before putting them in the aquarium. Right now I have them outside in the fresh air for a few days. Can you help? Thank you, Rick Conrad. rickpt@yahoo.com

Hi and :welcome

This is the wrong spot for something like this, so i will get some one to move it for you. :)

its really hard to tell why they are dying. to help factor out some possible problems, Please provide the following details when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

-Ammonia Level?

-Nitrite Level?

-Nitrate level?

-Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

-Ph Level out of the Tap?

-Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

-What is the name and size of the filter/s?

-How often do you change the water and how much?

-How many fish in the tank and their size?

-What kind of water additives or conditioners?

-Any medications added to the tank?

-Add any new fish to the tank?

-What do you feed your fish?

-Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

-Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

Hi and :welcome

This is the wrong spot for something like this, so i will get some one to move it for you. :)

its really hard to tell why they are dying. to help factor out some possible problems, Please provide the following details when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

-Ammonia Level?

-Nitrite Level?

-Nitrate level?

-Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

-Ph Level out of the Tap?

-Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

-What is the name and size of the filter/s?

-How often do you change the water and how much?

-How many fish in the tank and their size?

-What kind of water additives or conditioners?

-Any medications added to the tank?

-Add any new fish to the tank?

-What do you feed your fish?

-Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

-Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

All ammonia, nitate, pH levels are OK. It is a 10 gal.aquarium. I refresh about 25% of the water weekly. I use use a Penguin filter, the filters are changed regularly. I use Warley's Chlor Out to eliminate chlorine & chloramine. I added salt, I use Wardley's flakes. No meds added. I have had the aquarium for years with no problems. The only thing new is I added 3 plastic plants which I rinsed thoroughly. I now have them outside airing out. My suspicion is that the new plastic plants were adding toxins to the water. Is that possible? I changed the water today as the fish were getting lethargic & hanging out on the bottom or top without swimming. They stopped eating. They look absolutely fine. About an hour after I changed the water & took the plants out they are back to normal. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it, Rick Conrad.

With a 10 gallon tank, you are most likely overstocked. How big are your fish? Generally a good sized goldfish would require 10 gallons per fish. Most often people will buy small fish and everything will be Ok for a long time, but as they fish grow, problems will start to occur.

I would up the amount of water you change per week, or do two water changes per week. In a small tank with more than one fish, I would change out about 30-40% twice weekly.

I would think that if you do this, you will see a marked improvement in your fish. Also, I would suggest planning to upgrade to a larger tank in future.

We can test the water for all kinds of things, but we can't test for harmful bacteria. In an enclosed space, such as an aquarium, bacterial levels can increase to detrimental levels very easily, even though the water looks crystal clear.

If the plants that you bought were meant for aquarium use, I wouldn't think they would cause problems in your tank.

I hope all of this helps and please feel free to ask questions.

With a 10 gallon tank, you are most likely overstocked. How big are your fish? Generally a good sized goldfish would require 10 gallons per fish. Most often people will buy small fish and everything will be Ok for a long time, but as they fish grow, problems will start to occur.

I would up the amount of water you change per week, or do two water changes per week. In a small tank with more than one fish, I would change out about 30-40% twice weekly.

I would think that if you do this, you will see a marked improvement in your fish. Also, I would suggest planning to upgrade to a larger tank in future.

We can test the water for all kinds of things, but we can't test for harmful bacteria. In an enclosed space, such as an aquarium, bacterial levels can increase to detrimental levels very easily, even though the water looks crystal clear.

If the plants that you bought were meant for aquarium use, I wouldn't think they would cause problems in your tank.

I have 2 little goldfish. Thank you very much, Rick.

If you are currently unable to get a larger tank then I would get a bubble wand/airstone and an air pump for the tank so the fish can get enough oxygen. This is one of the most serous problems in an over crowded tank.

This, if not yet a problem then it will be some time in the future as your fish will grow surprisingly large over time.

Good luck with the fish!

Hi Rick,sorry to hear of your problems.You said that you have two little goldfish-So how many did you originally have-how many have died so far?If you could also post exact params that would be great too. :)

Hi Rick,sorry to hear of your problems.You said that you have two little goldfish-So how many did you originally have-how many have died so far?If you could also post exact params that would be great too. :)

3 small goldfish died. The 2 I have now are replacements. The 3 that died became lethargic, stayed in the corners & eventually died. This started to happen with my replacements until I changed the water and removed the new plastic plants. They are doing fine so far. Thanks for your help, Rick.

Archived