Fish Dolls House!

Peanuts

I've been looking for a new tank for my bettas when i stumbled on a website offering a Goldie tank that looks like a well known Hamster home. The tank is sectioned off into different compartments "Rooms" with doors that lead from one to the other, and if that wasn't bad enough to get my blood boiled you can buy interchangeable parts for it that are themed!

There is even a tunnel for the fish to swim through, but looking at the tank from a Goldie lover POV it looks like a death trap. The surface area is cut down to just two of the top compartments and swimming must be impossible.

I'll not link the website or the name of the tank just in case koko's gets into trouble but i really just wanted a place to vent, I can't even begin to describe how shocked I am.

(If anyone wishes to see the website privet message me and I?ll link you that way.)

:( I know how angry this can make GF lovers. While looking at aquariums in general I stumbled upon an internet office supply store selling tanks for desks... one had a picture of a goldfish in a tank set up like an office (lamps and chair everywhere- no room to swim), saying "Perfect for goldfish!"

It held 40 ounces of water. The size of a big soda from the gas station. It makes me sick to my stomach.

its such a shame that goldfish have been sterotyped to where people think they can thrive in bowls

hey peanuts, did the company begin with a 'v'?

if so, there is a thread around here somewhere with it in it...

Fuzzy Peaches: Yes it did!!!

And it's listed on one of the UK's largest petstore chains website (No points for guessing who!) It has a FAQ on the website and it says that the 'Aquarium' is made to UK toy standards, is it just me that wants to scream at the computer? If it was made to toy standards then it's a TOY not a home for animals!!

I saw the tank you are referring to in the pet shop you are referring to the other day, set up with two fancies in it. They dod not look happy. They could barely swim around and they were still very little. On the website I believe that it said you can keep your goldfish in there until they reach 10cm and then they will need something bigger. Seeing the tank in person I have no idea how a 10cm fish could actually fit in there with the insert things in, let around move or turn around.

That tank is so overpriced, gimmicky and inadequate. For the same amount of money you could easily buy a proper, adequate set-up with decent filtration and have money left over for decorations, plants and test-kits.

I think I know what setup you're talking about and I've seen it online. It really is disgusting, the one I saw had "instructions" and timers to tell you when to change the water.

Well, actually not change the water, but timed to "add the special conditioners" that came with the tank. Bleh.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing we can do is educated people on the unpracticality of having novelty things like that. There's plenty alternatives available for people such as purchasing stands that LOOK like dollhouses (which I've been seeing a lot lately) or purchasing decorations that looks like dollhouses or whatever.

Even if you did keep fish in a tiny novelty tank, it's simply too painful to keep clean and, in the long-run, would discourage kids from taking care of their pet.

Archived