Sign in to follow this  
gialleh

1 Month Old - What To Feed?

Hi,

My fry is about 1 month old and i am wondering what else to feed besides First Bites. Some are 1/2 inch long & others only 1/4 inch.

Also they are from 2 black moors - and i noticed a few seem light colored? Why is this? Will they be more of a gold black?

Thanks

Heather

i have about 25 - my first fry - i am so proud

Congratulations. Well done :rockon

At that age, you can start feeding whatever you would feed your larger fish, but crush it up into smaller bits.

You can also start feeding tiny bits of things like broccoli; just the tiny little florets off of the ends. Any bits of vegetable that you can get small enough would be good.

You could also make a gel food and feed that.

It usualy takes about a year (or more) for goldfish to get their final colors and at only 1 month old, I am not surprised that they are more of a goldish-black color.

I think that touchofsky is right that you can just crush normal food and feed it to the fry.

I am looking foward to seeing pics too.

Pictures.... ugh... i have enough trouble getting photos of my dogs. i'll try tonite though. I am preparing the tanks for a friend to watch for a week. I have lots of plants, trap door snails, and last night I put 2 corys in there. Now all the fry are hiding because the corys are fast. I just want to make sure the tank won't be over feed when i am away. I am having them feed once a day - same with my other tanks.

I am also getting a 55 gal ready for them.

The trapdoors are great because they don't over populate a tank - they don't lay eggs but have live young. They eat the leftover food. I thought the corys might help but now I am not so sure. Any thoughts?

Heather

How big is the tank they are in now, and how long are you going to be away?

I couldn't get photos - the camera didn't know what to focus on. Ugh....

They are in a 10 gallon now. I think there are about 20 - 30 of them. I am bringing 6 to my father. I took the corys out - i was too nervous with them in there.

I tried frozen baby brine & other baby fry food - both did not go over well. There are enough plants in there for them to eat algae from.

I am putting 1/2 new water & 1/2 water from another tank in the 55 gallon. Will it still need to cycle?

Heather

Crush flakes is what I feed after newly hatched brine shrimp and first bits.

I am from Wisconsin too. i tried the flakes. There are a few that are big enough but a few seem to be small and they are struggling with the bigger food.

Heather

Cool, what part of Wisconsin? I'm 30 miles south of Green Bay.

For fry up to 1/2 inch I would still be feeding them newly hatched brine shrimp and be starting to think about starting them on first bites or flakes. Since your fish are doing good on first bites I wouldn't worry about changing their food until the first bites are too small for them.

Have you tried soaking the flakes before feeding?

I'll try soaking the flakes.

I am in downtown Milwaukee.

Down in IL there is a great koi & goldfish club. check out thier site - I have been to the auctions & everyone is super nice. I want to get to the koi & goldfish show. www.mpks.com

Heather