How Should I Transport 4 Wk Old Fry?

gialleh

Hi

My dad would like a few of my fry (about 6-10 of them). I will be driving with a 48 hr stop-over before reaching his house. Any suggestions on how to best transport? I am worried because this is my first fry and i don't want anything to happen. A few are 1/2 inch long, others are only 1/4 inch.

thanks

Heather

I would get a couple of 10 gallon rubbermaid tubs and fill them with water. Punch a few holes in the lids.

Add half of the fish to each tub. Then you could fill some jugs with your tap water water and take that along for a water change during the stopover.

When you get to your dad's place, gradually switch the fish over to the new water, particularly if there is significant difference in ph.

Good luck and let us know how it goes :)

I would not fill the tubs any more than 75-80% because it might spill and cause BIG problems. you can fill the tubs more than this when you stop for the night but you should reduce the water level for the driving. Also, drive VERY carefully and GOOD LUCK!

:goodluck

For fish that small all you will need to transport them is a 5 gallon pail. Personally I wouldn't do any water changes during the trip. It would be to much of a hassel and they won't need it. It will also be easy to bring a 5 gallon pail inside during your stop over. Anything bigger would be too heavy to carry and there will be less risk of spills because a 5 gallon pail will fit quite nicely on the floor of the back seat. You will have to bring the fish inside during your stop over because it will be too cold to leave them in the car. For larger fish I would recommend getting a battery powered air pump and air stone and leave the pump run for the entire trip. However, I would not recommend it for fish this small because the force of the bubbles could harm them and being that their only 1/4 to 1/2 inch they won't need it. If it would make you feel better you could get a battery powered air pump and give them some bubbles for a few minute once in while holding the air stone just under the surface so the fish don't get hurt with the bubbles.

Not feeding fish for 4 days before the trip is good advice for larger fish. However, I'm not sure if it would be good for fish that small to go that long with out food. With fish that small I would feed them shortly before I left and not feed them during the trip. Fish that small won't produce a lot of waste.

The reason I suggested the 10 gallon Rubbermaid tubs, is that you can only fill them part way up, and still have plenty of water for the fish. Punch a couple of holes in the centre of the lids, snap on the lids, and you are safe from any spills.

Then you can use the Rubbermaid tubs for quarantine or hospital tanks later on. I have several tubs that I use this way.

• 2 weeks later...