Pleco's

Guest ma_ac13

Guest ma_ac13

Hello i want to add a pleco into my goldfish tank. Which Pleco's can be added with them, i knowthe common pleco can but which others are safer to put in than the common plec?

Please let me know asap, thank you.

:) Actually,the Common Plec,is really not safe to keep with Goldfish. If you have the right tank size/filtration,a Bristlenose or Rubbernose pleco stay much smaller and normally work well with Goldies.

Guest ma_ac13

:) Actually,the Common Plec,is really not safe to keep with Goldfish. If you have the right tank size/filtration,a Bristlenose or Rubbernose pleco stay much smaller and normally work well with Goldies.

Ah ok, so the only two species of plec that can be put with the goldfish are the rubbernose and Bristlenose then? Which one would be best, i'd prefer one that stays smaller.

Will it be ok to put one in with my goldies then? :) Can they be put into the coldwater tank at room temp then?

I've never had a plec so I can't advise you either way, but there are lot's of people on here who do. Maybe start by doing a keyword search for both in this section and see what other peoples experiences have been with each. That way you can start to research the needs of both and it may help you decide which one you like more/is more suited to your setup :)

Hi Ma_ac! I recently added a rubbernose pleco to my goldy tank...they stay smaller, and are generally compatible with them. I like the bristlenose too, but when I went to the store, the one they had was already a good 4" long. I bought my rubbernose because he was a baby-I love to watch them grow. :)

Just make sure that your tank is pretty well established with algae growth. They tend to prefer an 'aged' tank, rather than adding them to a brand new setup. Good luck to ya!

Hi - i hope you don't mind a suggestion, but you may also need to know how many gallons each plec would need right now, and how many gallons they would potentially need once they've reached their full size. That way you could plan ahead for future and present tank requirements. Unfortunately, i don't know the answers, but maybe someone else reading this thread might be able to help you.

Dana.

Guest ma_ac13

Hi

i went to a fish store yesterday and seen these tiny pleco's in with the goldies, the goldies just left them alone. the pleco's were only babies i think, they were about1.5 inches long.

I cant remember what pleco they were though!

I think im going to leave getting a pleco now. I dont know why but im a bit put off because everyone says it can be problematic!

Thanks for all the advice though

Archived