Losing Nasal Flaps?

Guest savagem

Guest savagem

I have a large (8 inch) oranda that has lost one of his nasal flaps. In its place is a small black spot. I didn't think too much of it--figured he'd lost it in some kind of accident or something. But now I've noticed a small black spot at the base of his other flap as well. Hasn't lost it yet, but I'm a bit concerned. I tried to examine the black spot when he first lost the other flap but couldn't see anything with the naked eye. Anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas/suggestions?

Guest savagem

40 gallon with a 400 gph hob filter. 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, 20 nitrates--due to do water change this weekend. Temp is 70 degrees. One other large (8 inch) fish in the tank with. Had some fraying on the fins for which I have been treating with medicated food for about 4 weeks. Fins look better now. Active, hungry, happy in every other way. 25-40% water change weekly depending on the nitrate levels.

I have a large (8 inch) oranda that has lost one of his nasal flaps. In its place is a small black spot. I didn't think too much of it--figured he'd lost it in some kind of accident or something. But now I've noticed a small black spot at the base of his other flap as well. Hasn't lost it yet, but I'm a bit concerned. I tried to examine the black spot when he first lost the other flap but couldn't see anything with the naked eye. Anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas/suggestions?

I had this happen with my Punch as well - in time - for some resasoin- both of them disappeared and did not come back.

Guest savagem

I've never seen the other fish bothering him. They seem to get along quite well. The black spot on the one side has never gone away, either--been that way for a few weeks now. Just a tiny, black dot.

Archived