Filter Survival

yazooo

Ive been treating my sick goldfish in the main 20 gallon tank which basically has had everything removed from it. I knew the antibiotic would kill the filter so I moved the filter media into a bin of tank water, with the plant and ran an air pump right on the sponges to keep the bacteria getting oxygen. Its been that way since Sunday. Basically its coming up to the time when the main filter sponges could be put back and Im wondering whether I should or not based upon whether the bacteria have been kept alive or whether they have died and will in fact be toxic?

Its not a total filtration disaster as I have another, albeit smaller, mature filter that could probably keep me going with more frequent water changes, without the other filter sponges going back in. What do you think, yay 'o' nay to the sponges going back? Im thinking- probably not worth the risk.

Yazooo - The beneficial bacteria in your sponges should be still viable, if not rockin' and rollin'. Howver, MyGoldfishisLumpy is correct in that the sponges are likely to be contaminated with whatever pathogen you were treating the tank for. You will need to disinfect the sponges which will also wipe out the good bacteria.

Dennis

Archived