Question About Upping The Wattage

GoinNuts

The lighting on my tanks is pretty dim and I'm having a HUGE problem with brown algae. The lights are only 17 watts. (Two lights on a 55gal.)

So, my question is, can I put higher watt bulbs in these hoods that I have? I can't find anything on them that indicates whether I can install higher wattage bulbs or if 17w is the limit they can handle.

TIA!

Lisa

Thanks so much for the replies!

you have to change the whole lighting system to upgrade the wattage...

That's what I thought I'd have to do. I'm afraid to see how $$$ that will be. :blink: I do have a b-day coming up, though. Hmmmmm. :D

Nenn, I like those submersible lights. I can imagine they'd really add an interesting look to my tank. I'll have to check those out.

What is the main purpose for upgrading the lighing?

Mostly for the brown algae. My tank is a 55g with two hood lights, each only the 17w, so aesthetically it's simply dim and I'd like for it to be a little brighter.

The brown algae, though, is my biggest problem. I'll take everything out, scrub it to within and inch of it's life, soak the plants in a mild bleach solution, boil the rocks/mopani wood and it comes back - all over everything - within a week.

I'm having zero luck finding any of the gf compatible 'algae eaters' around here. I thought I'd found a rubberlip yesterday (called ahead to ask), but when I got there it was a common plec. :(

Lisa

Guest savagem

Just wanted to suggest that higher wattage won't necessarily end your brown algae problem. I spent a pretty penny on new, higher-wattage fixtures for my 125 because I wanted to grown plants in my goldie tank. I am having exactly the same experience you describe with brown algae. It's driving me insane! Can't really offer much advice, but would hate to see you spend big bucks on lighting only to have the same problem anyway.

I got the same problem as well. For me, I prefer to have a green carpet algae instead of brown algae for the following reasons.

- Green algae looks better than brown dirty one

- Green algae is a good natural food for goldies

- and Green algae takes nitrate as their food.

So I went for higher wattage w/ longer hours. Very soon I got a green algae.

I am having exactly the same experience you describe with brown algae. It's driving me insane!

It is maddening, isn't it? :exactly

Questions, though. Are you still getting brown algae with the higher watt lighting? Or are you experiencing green algae now? How many watts are you running?

Green algae takes nitrate as their food.

I did not know that, Ranchu. Well, now I have more reason to up my wattage. I've always had a problem with my nitrates being too high, in the 40+ range. Mostly because I'm pushing the limit on stocking - I have 5 fancies. Also, I'm pretty sure I might be overfeeding just a tetch.

As it is, I do at least 2 water changes a week to keep it in check. I'm hoping to get another tank after Christmas sometime if I can find space for one. There's the challenge. Space.

Any recommendations on min-max wattage for what I'm trying to accomplish? I saw in the DIY section someone used a shoplight, but when I asked dh about that, he said that would be 80 watts and thought that might be too much.

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

Lisa

Archived