Rip Chloe

kila

I made the devastating decision last night to put my beautiful Oranda, Chloe to sleep.

As you may have read in the Disease section, Chloe had been fighting a bacterial infection for months. She had been upsidedown for a few months and in the last couple of weeks had started to pinecone. I tried all I could to save her. Epsom salts, warm tank water, medicated food, but unfortunately she was getting worse and worse each day and the kindest thing to do was to ease her suffering and put her to sleep with clove oil.

I really have no words to describe what a difficult thing it was to do. Emotionally it was heart wrenching. It's going to take me a long, long time to get over it. I've never had to put a creature down before and boy is it devastating.

I'm trying to take comfort in the knowledge that I made the right decision. I know I did, but it doesn't make it any easier.

My eyes are like two puffy red balls because I've cried the Amazon river. I don't know how I 'm going to face into work. If anyone asks me what's wrong I'm going to burst into tears. I feel sick in my stomach but I also feel better because I know now that Chloe is at peace.

Her passing seemed to be very peaceful. She just slowed down and after about 20 mins of gradually adding more pre-mixed oil she just passed on gently. It was the least distressing way for both me and her.

I would beg anyone who believes in "flushing", not to do it. This way is dignified and you can stay with your pet while they pass on which is very difficult but also very valuable as you can say goodbye and reassure them at the same time that everything is ok.

So goodbye Chloe. You were loved madly and you'll be missed badly. Kiss kiss....pooka pooka water kisses to you. Love you little one. XX

Chloe.jpg

I'm so sorry you lost Chloe. She was obviously very special to you. I know you've a had really hard time recently. It sounds like you've done everything you could to help her and make her better. It was a very tough decision to make, but the right one for Chloe and for you and a very loving decision as well. Thinking of you, we know it's tough right now :hug

What a beautiful farewell and your words really do show the love you had for your little girl which is why what you did was both brave and kind. Chloe's out of pain now and I guess the positive thing that comes out of this is while she's no longer living in her tank, she'll live on in your heart. I've come to learn that you never forget the ones you lose as they continue to have a place in our memories...

Take care :heart

Chloe was a beautiful fish. She was loved to the very end kila and you did the very best for her. You made the right decision as a loving owner and she is no longer suffering. She is at peace.

I understand about the crying and how very tender you feel inside right now :( . All I can say is what a wonderful carer you are and that your beautiful Chloe had a wonderful life with you in that huge and lovely jakuzzi tank I remember your setting up for her and her friends.

I have not yet put a fish to sleep but your wise words will comfort me when I have to. Hang in there hun :hug

:cry1 I am so sorry that Chloe could not over come the illness that was taking her over. She was a beautiful oranda and I know how hard you tried to get her over this. I know how you feel and I hope you will take comfort in the memories that you have of Chloe!

Sending you all the warm thoughts that you need to get through this! Hope you feel better soon! :heart

:rip: Chloe, you will be missed, you were a beautiful little girl!

Thanks very much for all your kind words guys. It means a lot to me.

My finace has the tank stripped and disinfected but I just can't bear to see it right now.

Chloe is in the freezer and we're bringing her out to the olive farm to bury her tomorrow (I had work all day today). I may start to feel better once she's buried and at rest.

Huge thanks to all who helped me and offered their support. In particular hugs to Trinket and Jen W. You've been fabulous. XX

Oh, I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am. I had been following your posts and like everyone else here was really hoping that Chloe would pull through this. I admire you for making the best decision you could and hope that you find happiness in her memory.

Archived