Veiltail?

Guest amazonjes

Guest amazonjes

I think my fish is a veiltail, but he only has a single tail, not a double. His tail is long and flowing and has an inverted v shape at the end, but it's not a double tail. What is he?

Hmm, do you have a picture of him, Amazonjes? It is definetely not a veiltail, since those have long tails without any forks or anything in them, and always come in double tails.

Is the body streamlined, or rather round and fat? Long body? If its a single tail, then comet comes to mind.

Guest amazonjes

No, I'm sorry I don't have a pic. I dont have a digital camera so I doubt I can get one. His body is fat and round. He's definately not a comet. I'll try to see if I can borrow my fiance's mom's camera and see if I can get a pic. His tail is very long and flowy, but it's not a double. It doesn't angle down either. It is strait out from his body.

Guest amazonjes

Well, if you make a peace sign with your two fingers and turn it sideways, that is what his tail looks like (or like this >), but very long and flowy. Maybe he is a comet, but his body is so short. He even has a little hump on his back where the dorsal fin starts. I think he may be just a strange hybrid of a comet and a veiltail.

What is a veiltail nymph?

amazonjes, I'll be honest with you, the possibility of your fish being a veiltail or even a veiltail hybird is very very slim. A veiltail is a rare breed of goldfish and are mostly owned by experienced breeders and collectors.

Comets are not always slim. There are humpy comets and fat comets, but if it got a long singletail (yes, like if u make a peace sign and turn it sideways) then 99% it's definitely a comet. The other distinct possibility is that your fish is a nymph, which is what some breeders call "deformed" fantails which only have singletails (instead of the acceptable double-tail & should have been culled) to make them more marketable.

Guest amazonjes

amazonjes, I'll be honest with you, the possibility of your fish being a veiltail or even a veiltail hybird is very very slim. A veiltail is a rare breed of goldfish and are mostly owned by experienced breeders and collectors.

Umm...okay. :idont

Well, I still don't think he's really a comet, maybe part but not full comet. He has the body of a fancy not a common. I'm working on getting a picture of him.

Guest amazonjes

JapaneseAnimation-Girl-Riding-Goldfish.jpg

I just found this image and (I know it's an illustration, not the best source) my fish looks almost like this (well, without the girl sitting on him) with a slight hump at the dorsal fin, slightly pointed face, and round body with a single tail. I thought this might be helpful. I've pretty much concluded that Moe is a crossbreed of some sort. I just wish I knew of what exactly.

If it looks like this one: http://www.aquarienfreunde-mannheim.de/Flo...en/image005.jpg

It's a "Bloody Parrot" cichlid.

If it looks like this one: http://cdserver2.ru.ac.za/cd/011120_1/Aqua...logy/Image4.jpg

It's a fantail.

If it's like this one: http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4468/veiltail.jpg

It's a veiltail.

That drawing looks like a Ryukin goldy. If your fishy is a mutt, it might have some mixed in there, with some Comet or other fish.

vieltails also have the long flowing fins on the rest of their body(not up-to-date on fish trems). comets very often do not. If his back is humped, he could be a cross between a comet and a fantail or ryukin. Or something of that sort. I hope you figure it out, either way he sounds very beautiful.

Hi, I've been having the same problem of figuring out what type of goldie I have and I just wanted to add that I've been doing so much research on veiltails specifically due to the fact that my Casper's tail is very long, I've had many people comment on how beautiful and long his tail is and according to articles I've read pure veiltails are indeed very rare due to only a small percentage becoming true veiltails but a mix of veiltail with other type of goldie is not that uncommon, so perhaps you have a mix. :)

Although I would like to be sure of what type of goldie he is, I am convinced he is a mix of fantail and veiltail, personally rare or not I love him and value him :heart .

karla

Archived