To Ad Or Not To Add...

Guest SeeQuee

Guest SeeQuee

That is my question today!!! I have a twenty gallon with two orandas. They are not real big orandas but I was wanting to add another one. The one I want to get is smaller than the two I have. Do you think I could increase my water change schedule to accomodate another fish? It would only be for two or three months until I can get a bigger tank. I would like to get this fish now so I can spend time watching them, plus I saw this one at the petstore that was just begging me to take her home!!!

I would appreciate any advice:)

Stephani

:goldfish::goldfish:

:( Even if you get a new fish, you would need to quarantine them to ensure you're not introducing any bad bacteria or parasites into your main tank, which it sounds like you may not have the capability of doing.

Just wait until you've upgraded, it'll be less stress on both you AND your fish.

Hello SeeQuee! Ditto on waiting...it wouldn't be worth jeopardizing your current fish' health by adding another one. If anything, it is always better to understock than over....let them enjoy their space until you can upgrade. :)

Guest SeeQuee

Hello SeeQuee! Ditto on waiting...it wouldn't be worth jeopardizing your current fish' health by adding another one. If anything, it is always better to understock than over....let them enjoy their space until you can upgrade. :)

OK, I will wait. I would not want to hurt my two at all!! They are pretty cool:) When I get my new tank set up I will get another one then!! Thanks so much for the advice:)

Stephani

Guest SeeQuee

How big of a tank do you plan on getting?

I have three 6 inch goldfish in a 29 gallon tank and I have to do 30% water changes twice a day in order to keep it clean.

I was wanting to get a 40 or 50 gallon tank. I would like for my fish to have plenty of room to swim as they grow.

When I had three 6" goldfish in my 55 gallon aquarium the tank still got dirty very fast. I currently have one 6" inch goldfish and one 5" koi in my 55 gallon aquarium. Having only to fish in the 55 gallon aquarium the tank doesn't get dirty as fast as having three. But it still doesn't take very long.

40 gallons will be a little small for 2 fully grown Orandas. It is common for Orandas to grow to 8 to 10 inches long. Some can grow even larger.

Since a 40 gallon tank is an odd size it may be more expensive than the more common 55 gallon aquarium.

If your thinking about a 40 long aquarium you might as well get a 55 gallon aquarium because the 55 gallon will be the same size as the 40. Only the 55 gallon aquarium will be 4 inches taller. And might cost less.

If your thinking about getting a 55 gallon aquarium you might as well get a 75 gallon aquarium because the 75 gallon will be the same size as the 55. Only the 75 gallon will be 5 inches wider. A 75 gallon aquarium is only about $30 more than the 55 gallon aquarium.

90 gallon aquarium is the same size as the 75 gallon. Only the 90 gallon aquarium in 4 inches taller than the 75 gallon.

110 gallon is the same size as the 75 gallon aquarium. Only 9 inches taller.

When I had three 6" goldfish in my 55 gallon aquarium the tank still got dirty very fast. I currently have one 6" inch goldfish and one 5" koi in my 55 gallon aquarium. Having only to fish in the 55 gallon aquarium the tank doesn't get dirty as fast as having three. But it still doesn't take very long.

40 gallons will be a little small for 2 fully grown Orandas. It is common for Orandas to grow to 8 to 10 inches long. Some can grow even larger.

Since a 40 gallon tank is an odd size it may be more expensive than the more common 55 gallon aquarium.

If your thinking about a 40 long aquarium you might as well get a 55 gallon aquarium because the 55 gallon will be the same size as the 40. Only the 55 gallon aquarium will be 4 inches taller. And might cost less.

If your thinking about getting a 55 gallon aquarium you might as well get a 75 gallon aquarium because the 75 gallon will be the same size as the 55. Only the 75 gallon will be 5 inches wider. A 75 gallon aquarium is only about $30 more than the 55 gallon aquarium.

90 gallon aquarium is the same size as the 75 gallon. Only the 90 gallon aquarium in 4 inches taller than the 75 gallon.

110 gallon is the same size as the 75 gallon aquarium. Only 9 inches taller.

:) WIth you having all this vast knowledge on sizes of fish and tanks Nick,I'm sure that you also know that Koi are not really meant to be in aquariums at all,and need at least 250 gallons each. He won't be lasting in a 55 gallon long at all. :unsure:

Guest SeeQuee

So let me ask this...when you are talking about a 6" or 8" are you measuring body only, or does that include their fins?

Maybe I will look into a 55 gal. I think my husband would explode if I got anything bigger!! Haha!!! This a just started with me wanting a little goldfish and has turned into something much bigger!!

Stephani :goldfish::goldfish:

I have a pond that's around 44,000 (square feet) surface area and around 25 feet deep. That will be my koi's new home this summer.

Wow....That's one heck of a pond,eh?You'll definately have to post pics for all to see. :exactly

SeeQuee- yeah, that's how I think it starts in all fishkeepers. I started out many years ago, and the few years I went without any tanks at all, I felt like something was missing in my house. Now I am back at it, and I only have hopes of more and more fish (and tanks). Good luck to you! The people on this forum are very kind and knowledgeable. Take your time, learn all you can, and don't ever get discouraged. And most inportant of all, have fun with your new hobby!! :exactly

Yep, the pond is around an acre. It used to be a gravel pit and is spring fed. It's completely land locked (no water ways going in or out). The bottem is granite sand and the water is clear. So I will be able to see him when he swims around the edges and near the surface. I currently have around 75 common/comets in the pond and their huge. There are some game fish in the pond but I don't go fishing in it. I bought a new in the box digital camera from e-bay last winter but it's a piece of crap and I can't get photos on the computer. I do have some paper pictures of the pond but don't know how to post them. I also don't have scanner. Maybe I'll have to buy a digital camera from Best Buy and take some pictures of the pond this summer.

SeeQuee- See if you can talk your husband into letting you get a 75 gallon tank. You'll be much happier with it. A 55 gallon tank seems like a big tank when you go to the store and look at them. But when you get it home and put fish in it the 55 gallon tank is going to look a lot smaller than it did in the store. It might also be easier to talk your husband into letting you get a 75 gallon aquarium to start with than it would be to talk him into letting you get a 75 gallon tank after you aready have the 55 gallon aquarium.

I'm sure most of the people here will tell you that once they bought an aquarium. It was't too long before they wanted a bigger one.

Archived