Power Outage Tonight

selythe

Anyone have any good tips as to what I can do for my dudes?

We have a generator, and it will be powering a space heater as well as the refrigerator. Thus, I'll probably put my goldfish in a five-gallon bucket that I normally use for water changing, and ask my mother nicely if I can plug in at least the airpump for the bubble wand nearby.

As the tank I'm working on still isn't waterproofed.. work in progress.. I'll be scrubbing out a larger tupperware from our kitchen soon, or is it really, really recommended to get a new one? What about two-liter bottles with the tops chopped off?

(edit):

The power outage will likely last anywhere from a few hours to 3 days.

The power is still active, so I'm leaving them in their current setup for now.

My four goldfish are in a forty gallon tank with an airpump/bubble wand and AquaClear filter. They're all around three inches long, a little less or a little more depending on the fish.

My four bettas are in a ten-gallon tank with no filter as of yet, though I plan on making them a sponge filter soon. They're fully grown, but none with immense fin length... maybe an inch and a half, two inches?

I do not have any chemical heatpacks, but I worry that those would be too uncontrolled anyway.

We have plenty of candles and a kerosene lantern for light, as well as the usual flashlights.

I already filled the five gallon bucket with water and added the conditioner, a few hours ago, and am letting it sit undisturbed in the bathroom for now until and unless it's needed.

If the power is only going to be out for a couple hours they'll be fine. If you have them in an aquarium and not some dinky little bowl. If the power is going to be off for a few days I'd go to the local bait shop and get a battery powered air pump. Goldfish are cold water fish so you don't need to worry about the cold.

What about two-liter bottles with the tops chopped off?

I hope your not thinking about putting fish in those two-liter bottles.

Fish in the sense of the bettas, once the bottles had been thoroughly cleansed? I wouldn't put my big goldies in there... or even the bettas, as a long-term thing... but you're thinking even a betta per bottle would be a bad idea?

Bait shops have battery powered air pumps... hmm.. any brands you'd recommend?

The 2-liter bottles are a big no for goldies. it would not have enough surface area for the oxygen to enter the water and the fish would "drown"

The goldfish are probably fine in the tank unless it is going to get below 50 degrees (fairenheit) and the beta fish should be put in small bowls near the space heater but you should keep a close eye on their temp.

Good luck!

P.S.- you should probably remove the filter ahead of time so that the fishie poo doesn't siphon back into the tank... I speak from experience on that one...

Below 50 degrees might happen, but I don't know that it will for certain.

Hmm. I'll unplug the goldfish heater for now, since it's keeping them about five or ten degrees above where my room is normally.

That would allow them a slightly slower decrease in temperature, and hopefully soften the sudden chilliness?

Then.. just keeping an eye on their thermometer I suppose.. if they dip below mid-fifties I can transfer them to the bucket and bring them down to join the bettas and people huddled around the space heater? :rofl

And removing the heater.. gotcha.

Anything else I may want to consider?

Leave your 4 goldfish in the forty gallon tank. They'll be fine. Don't worry about heat. They don't need it. They don't need candles for light. Whatever daylight they get during the day is all they will need.

Your bettas are warm water fish and maynot be able to handle a drop in tempature. Personally I wouldn't put a betta in an aquarium less than 5 gallons. Although the two-liter bottles would be ok for bettas as short term housing.

Bait shops have battery powered air pumps so the fishermen can keep their minnows alive. There's not a lot of brands to chose from. They might have only one or two brands available. Whatever they have should do the job.

If you need to plug your air pump into the generater you would be better off leaving the fish in tank and using a long extention cord.

Based on the lights already flickering, looks like it'll be less than a few hours more.

But I've already unplugged everything, and thanks for the best wishes, Lumpy! I'll try to post again once everything's back to relatively normal.

Thanks everyone! Talk about fast replies! ^_^

I got a small one from vvvv for 10 bucks. Buy lots of batteries.

Stop feeding the fish asap. No more food until the power comes back on. Less waste that way. And put water into every container you can so you will have water to change out. If you are going to the store, buy some Prime or Amquel+. That can be used to detoxify ammonia/nitrite.

When you do shut down your filters, pull your media out of the filter and drop it down into the tank of water. This will keep it wet and the bacteria in contact with the fish's waste. If you do get a bubbler running, place it under the media - so that the bubbles draw the water up through the media. This will become a filter - not a great one, but definately good enough to make it worth your time.

If you do not get a bubbler going, I would suggest getting a large cup or quart container or so. Scoop water and pour it back into the tank, swiftly so that it goes to the bottom of the tank. This will turn the water over a bit and help a lot in oxygenation. Cooler water holds more oxygen, so you will not have nearly the problem now as you would have had if this were a hot summer day.

I would not worry too much about the temperature of the goldies - as the others have said. The bettas may be a different story. If you have the ability to heat water (gas stove, etc.) you can add a bit of warm water to their containers on a regular basis, keeping them warmer. Insulate their containers also and they will not lose heat as swiftly.

Good luck.

Others have given REALLY great advice so I really have nothing of importance to add, but how's everything going? Did the power comeback on? You're lucky you're power was only out for a couple hours... here in St.Louis two weeks ago there was an ice storm that knocked out power for 500,000 people in the coldest weather we've had this year. Ameren is STILL working on getting power back to some people... folks are really ticked off (as you can imagine). Even some of the dorms at my school lost power and we have generators (and they still didnt cancel classes).

The power's still out in a half hour radius around my house. And RIP one of my girls... But the other three seem to be alive, and Ariador is THRIVING. :D

I left them on the table next to the fireplace overnight, and was shocked in the morning to find them ice-cold.. I slept next to the hearth myself, it was HOT near it.

Ah well.

The goldfish are doing well, and I'll be changing out a lot of the water today for the five gallons I've had set aside and conditioned already...

Guess it's nature's way.

At least (odd blessing) I was outbid on the eBay boys, so I don't have to worry about acclimatizing any more!

I dropped past the hardware store and picked up a set of half-gallon Mason jars, which I'm currently scrubbing and soaking in hot water.

So this is just an update, back offline again for what the news says may be another several days without power.

Best of wishes towards all of the rest of you without consistent power as well!

Based on touch alone (the 10-gallon wasn't going to find room anywhere near heat) I would say it was around sixty degrees just as the sun was rising. Which was what really shocked me, given it was in the high seventies or eighties on ground-level. And cat-level as well. :/

The power's back on, though! I just had a chance to change out nearly all of the water in the survivors' tank... and am acclimating them VERY carefully. @_@;;

Woohoo!

Everyone's back to normal parameters.

And if I can get in touch with Faith successfully, I might even have some bettatalk bettas on the way soon...

....Definitely going to have a heater of some kind worked out for the next outage, though... they say there hasn't been one this bad in over a year.

And yes, thanks again everyone for your help.

Archived