Lionhead With Fantail?

Guest amazonjes

Guest amazonjes

I have been looking for another goldfish for my tank; it's a 55gal with one three-year old fantail and two algea eaters. I previously had two other goldfish in it: a calico fantial and a black moor. Both died a few months ago after a bad case of ich and then a bacterial infection. (that teaches me not to house fair fish for my sister) I was so sad. Well, now that everything is back in order and everyone is healthy, my one fantail that made it, Moe, seems lonely. She just stays in her little cave all day. She seems bored.

So, I went to my local pet store to see their fish today. All of their fantails were tiny babies, very cute but I don't want Moe to pick on them. There were also some nice small pearlscales, but I was hoping for another fantail. There was one really really cute lionhead, but I didn't buy it becuase I was afraid it wouldn't be compatible with Moe. But I really liked it. It was so pretty, a nice light gold color. Do you think it would work out? Moe isn't particularly aggressive, but I don't want to put a fish where it will be uncomfortable. But it was sooo pretty!

I would only get another fantail if it were at least 3/4 of Moe's size.

I would not get a pearlscale because I have one and he has had so much trouble getting his share of food that I had to buy a tank divider.

I would only get the lionhead if it were a fast enough swimmer to keep up with Moe but I would still be ready to separate them if I had to.

Otherwise, I would try to find a larger fantail to avoid problems with Moe.

Hope you find a new playmate for your fish!

they should be fine together... lionheads can swim just as fast as fantails and find food just as good too.

also, the pearlscae should be fine too. If he doesnt get enough food, you can hand feed him or you can food in 2 different spots in the tank. now i have a pealscale and 4 other fish (look at siggy) and the pealscale is usually is the first one to notice and start to eat the food.

I agree. I have kept ranchu, pearlscale, ryukin, oranda and moors in the same tank successfully with no special care at all. They are all find.

Get the pretty ranchu.

Size only matters if the smaller fish is the size of the bigger fish's mouth or less!

yup, i too have a ranchu(ok, i'm pretty sure its actually a lionhead, but ill call it a ranchu for afew more months until i can see it in a more mature state) with a slightly larger oranda and a smaller oranda, along with 2 bubbleeyes. the larger oranda, ranchu, smaller oranda and one of the bubbleeyes all get handfed and so they get plenty of food(i was quite surprised at one of the bubble eyes. it only took a day to get it to eat from my fingers). the other bubbleeye is close to getting handfed but still not quite there(gets really close, but never actually eats it) so what i do is distract the other fish with my hand or cover their eyes and drop a pellet right infront of the bubble eye. most of the time it'll see it and snatch it up before the other fish get to it. i only do this 5 or 6 times, then i dump the rest of the food in the tank, and the fish eat it up in around 5 minutes. i try to shoot for around 4 or 5 minutes so that they all get a good amount of food, but not enough that it takes them a long time. 4-5 minutes might seem abit long, but most of the time the fish don't see all the pellets and so i give them abit of "finding" time.

they should be fine together... lionheads can swim just as fast as fantails and find food just as good too.

also, the pearlscae should be fine too. If he doesnt get enough food, you can hand feed him or you can food in 2 different spots in the tank. now i have a pealscale and 4 other fish (look at siggy) and the pealscale is usually is the first one to notice and start to eat the food.

mine pearscale does the same thing.

i would get the lionhead remember to quartine it first :bingo:

Archived