Wens

emilydelong

I have a lionhead, a crowned pearlscale, and what I think is an oranda and I was wondering how long it takes for a wen to grow. I have had them for about 2 months and I haven't noticed any change in their size or the size of their wens. Does anyone know how I could help them grow??

Also, I have a few apple snails and their shells aren't looking too good. They seem to have chips and/or holes in them. Does anyone else have this problem?

Emily

By the time an oranda gets it's wen, it is usualy about 2-2 1/2 years old. (I have NO idea how old your fish probably were to begin with) If it is not growing fast enough then look for special foods for orandas that says that it helps wen development. - I am almost certain that it will be good for the other fish's wens as well.

I have a snail in my tank with tiny cracks all over it but no pieces are missing. It has lasted over 1 year like this. Keep an eye on the snails and if they get worse then seek further advice.

Good luck!

well, a wens growth is stongly influenced by genetics, some grow fast and large while others grow slow and small. or even slow and large... but you get the point. If you want, you can feed your fish high protine foods the help the wen grow, like blood worms.

I've never found Hikari Lionhead to aid my the rate of growth on my fishes' wens... I could count on it to provide necessary vitamins and minerals to their diet but the growth rate of the wens never showed any appreciable speeding up. (I also feed bloodworms, just so you know I could make comparisons between the two foods' effect on wen growth).

A more reliable and sure-fire way to help along wen development is probably submitting the fish to green-water culture.

our oranda that we've had for probably close to 5 or 6 months is just finally getting a larger wen, and finally as in just the past 2 or so weeks. it had a small one before, but it was barely there. with our lionhead(same age, MAYBE 2 weeks either way difference in age), it started to show a very slight one around 2 months ago, and very slight as in baaaarely having a transparent layer. before that, it wasn't even visible, so pretty much nonexistant. but in the past 2 or so weeks, it has seem to grow pretty darn fast. so those 2 fish started to get their wens at around the age of 4 months. i feed them bloodworms and hikari lionhead, though its hard to say which of those are making them grow wens, but more than likely the bloodworms help the most. we go through a .42oz container of bloodworms in about a month, and a 3.5oz packet of lionhead in... well we're still on our first pack that we bought probably 4 months ago, so i dunno, maybe 1 more month left in it, so 5 months? hmmm.... maybe i don't really need the 2lb of progold which i'm planning on ordering soon....

As the others have said some orandas have the genes for fast wen growth. My oranda Fred Jr. must have the good genes. Also he has been fed a protein rich diet in addition to occasional veggies. Here's a couple of pics of him. The first is when I first got him, the second is about 7 months later.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/br553/fred1.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/br5...edinoctober.jpg

Wow what a difference in 7 months. I can only hope that mine half as well. I have 2 small orandas(2.5) that have a small wen and a lionhead that is a bit bigger (3 inches) that barely shows any sign of a wen.

Still i love them all the same. ;-)

In addition to his diet, I think part of his sucess has been keeping him in a 20g tank with my now departed oranda Sadee, so water quality is another key to good overall growth.

Guest chris345

uh??? i think it's 3 years. Im not really sure but i have six goldfish in my tank for about six months and their only about 2 inches long!!. I think it depends on the size of your tank.

Archived