A Couple Of Weird Occurances

Guest moTIGS

I have 5 GF in a 55 gallon. Two or three of them are pretty much constantly having trouble with floating, despite me doing everything I can to prevent it. Then, tonight I noticed one of my other two, a fantail that was the first fish I ever bought, floating in a really weird way. He's never floated before. I think he may be on his last, um, fins, but I really don't know.

Then just a few minutes ago I went over to check on my convicts/tetras in my other tank (convicts just had second set of babies; all the first ones died). Right next to the tank, dead on the floor, was one of my black skirt tetras. I have no idea how it got on the floor, but it hadn't been there too long. It was definitely dead, but still a little wet.

The worst part about keeping fish is how easily they can die. True, they can be very hardy animals, but if you're not careful, they're gone pretty quick. My apparently dying GF hasn't shown any signs at all of being sick or anything. Hopefully he's just acting weird.

I think that just to be on the safe side,you should post under the Diagnosis section with all the info of what's going on with your goldfish.Better safe than sorry. :)

I am going to move this to Disease and Diagnosis for you. There, as Devs has suggested, you may get more help.

Floating can have many causes - or many causes that all act together. Sometimes treatments on more than one front can have success in solving floating problems.

Since the fish are dying, also - and rather rapidly, I would hazard a guess that you are dealing with an internal bacterial infection as part of the floating issue. Internal infections can cause gas and floating - and death.

Fish will - not often, but commonly enough - jump when the water parameters do not meet their requirements. Parasites can cause a fish to be crazy to itch their skin and, in trying to do so, they end up on the floor. Parasites can also play a part in floating....as can water parameters.

May I suggest that you scope for parasites, test your water - gH, kH, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp. etc. and have a look at what you are feeding. All of these parameters can play a part in floating - and some, combined with bacterial infections can be deadly. Once in your tank, they can be very difficult to erradicate without careful management.

Archived