Is This Planaria?

Tinkokeshi

hmm ok, so i recently set up my new tank and moved my two goldies over from the 29 gal tank into the 72 gal.

so the 29 gal has still been running with one 280 filter on it. (it originally had both the emperor 280 and a penguin 350). i took the 350 off and put it on the new tank though, and i just noticed today that there are little thin, thread like wormy things in the 29 gal. it's barebottom, and i've never seen them before. they're "thriving" in i think the icky stuff that came outta the intake from the 350 penguin when i unplugged it.

is this planaria? or is this something different that i should worry about? :blink:

no. they're in the tank i moved my fish out of, and i don't think they were there until maybe yesterday or the day before.

i've checked the new tank my fish are in, and i haven't seen any yet, but i could just be missing them. :unsure: i'm fairly certain my new tank is clean. so is it just due to the gunk that was left from the filter intake tube and the fact that i didn't clean it out in a timely manner? :(

Planaria are not harmful and generally are as a result of extra food being available in the tank. Fish eat them, so that is probably why you didn't notice them in the tank when the fish were there.

They will die off in the new tank without a food source. You can do extra water changes to get rid of them, siphon the bottom of the tank and rinse out the filter intake tube and filter box.

I would also cut back a bit on the amount of food your are feeding.

Archived