Id On My "punch"

2601angela

Thank you all- some said he was a red cap, then a lions head- etc- but they never pinned it down.

yup, hes an ornage/red oranda. a redcap oranda has an all white body with a red wen. like my little mr brain (siggy)

AMAZING! Did you need to hand-train him or does he just like people?

He is definitely a Red/Orange Oranda. I have one but she is very shy.

that is a very good question- since the day I got him I have been very careful not to scare him in any way. One day I was cleaning the tank and he started rubbing up next to my hand and gave this very unusual vibration- very high speed- to me every time he made a pass near my hand. I stuck my finger out to touch him and he did not move away - ever since then it has been a daily routine- I will film when - laying him sideways and stroking his side - he just curls his tail when I run my finger down his side- like I have found his funny bone- Yes - this was something unexpected- and I did not expect anything like this- what is funny is that I must place a screen in the tank when I clean half of the tank - and even then he is very annoyed that he is not part of the cleaniong operation and tries every way to get oiver so that I will pay attention to him. He likes his belly rubbed the most - and if not in the position the way he wants will adjust himself without comming out of my hand- I used to think he just wanted to swim clear but have found he is just adjusting himself for a more comfortable ride so to speak. I will be posting anoither video shortly to update.

Oh - and this is def. an Alpha male- there is nothing he fears - and thank you all for the comments- Do you know what it is like to leave him in the care of another person for 4 days while away for holiday? it is fortunate that the manager of the local pet shop has 8 tanks of his own and will watch him for me while I am away....

Eric

AMAZING! Did you need to hand-train him or does he just like people?

He is definitely a Red/Orange Oranda. I have one but she is very shy.

that is a very good question- since the day I got him I have been very careful not to scare him in any way. One day I was cleaning the tank and he started rubbing up next to my hand and gave this very unusual vibration- very high speed- to me every time he made a pass near my hand. I stuck my finger out to touch him and he did not move away - ever since then it has been a daily routine- I will film when - laying him sideways and stroking his side - he just curls his tail when I run my finger down his side- like I have found his funny bone- Yes - this was something unexpected- and I did not expect anything like this- what is funny is that I must place a screen in the tank when I clean half of the tank - and even then he is very annoyed that he is not part of the cleaniong operation and tries every way to get oiver so that I will pay attention to him. He likes his belly rubbed the most - and if not in the position the way he wants will adjust himself without comming out of my hand- I used to think he just wanted to swim clear but have found he is just adjusting himself for a more comfortable ride so to speak. I will be posting anoither video shortly to update.

Oh - and this is def. an Alpha male- there is nothing he fears - and thank you all for the comments- Do you know what it is like to leave him in the care of another person for 4 days while away for holiday? it is fortunate that the manager of the local pet shop has 8 tanks of his own and will watch him for me while I am away....

Eric

we added a couple of extra videos to UTUBE

Awww. That video made me giggle!!! My black Oranda Jonas does that, but when I go to pet her she swims away like I tried to attack her.

ioth hot water and rinse with filtered chlorine free water- I ended up getting a UV light and a UV ster system for my tank- The UV light is for bacteria on my hands and arms and the one- in line catches teh get-bys that sneak into the tank.- if you get to touch do not hold- allow freedom of movement- Punch likes to position himself higher or lower depending on the spot he wishes me to stroke- let me know what happens.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am amazed by that video. I couldn't wait to show my hubby when he got home. He would love it if our fish showed that much attention to us! haha

how does it cause white spots?

You know, touching your goldfish can cause white spot.

That is untrue. White spot is caused by a parasite called Ichthyophthirius. this parasite is transmitted from sick fish or from the parasite already being in the tank system. I suppose you could 'cause white spot' by touching your fish if you had your hand dipped in a tank already infected with the parasite.... Although I don't believe touching one's fish on a regular basis is not a particularly good thing to do, I know for sure that it will not 'cause' white spot, if your hands and tank do not have the parasite present.... :blink: