Recurring Illness

Guest Schmitter1

Guest Schmitter1

Amonia about 0

Nitrate = 0

PH = 7.3

PH tap = 7.0 (i buffer with crushed coral because the KH in the tap is very low)

55 gallon tank running for 1 year

whisper filter and penguin biowheel filter

change about 1/5 or so a week

1 commet and 1 common, both about 10 inches long

1 rubernose pleco, about 3 inches

Hi, i have posted in the past but the symptoms have changed and so has the water quality. My common goldfish has been sick on and off for years now. He is getting much worse now and is sick at least as often as he is healthy. When he is sick he will have violent seizures at first (he will shake his head quickly and usually slam into the tank wall) and get a bloody streak on his upper lip. I dont know if the seizures and hitting the tank cause the red lip or if the red streaks make him uncomfortable and cause the seizure, but the redness appears at the same time as the seizures. After the seizures and the red mark appears he will sit at the bottom of the tank for a few days. The first day he doesnt eat, and after that he will only move when he comes to the top to eat a small amount of floating pellets. When he sits at the bottom he kind of swims in place and opens his mouth wide alot. His fins also twitch a little sometimes. The red streak on his lip will fade and he will eventually be more active and return to normal for a little while.

Over the months i have medicated with a huge amount of different medications, Including: Jungle parasite clear, Jungle fungus clear, keeping tank salted with elevated temperature, Jugle anti-bacterial food, and the marcyn bacterial and parasite treatments. I even bought somethign called PraziPond, which is a pure and strong anti-parasite ingredient used in medicine tablets. The medications (both bacterial and parasite) have temporarily worked in the past, but now nothing seems to help. Maybe he has built up and immunity now?

I am thinking about euthanizing him, but i thought i would ask for help once more since he is getting better now (but i am sure he will crash agian in a couple of days).

Thanks

Guest Schmitter1

Oh, i forgot to add that the commet has been in the tank with him for a year now and has never had any of the symptoms. He pushes the common around a little when he is sick, but generally leaves him alone.

Hi schmitter, is there any way you can get a scrape of his skin? I think in situations like these, a scrape would be helpful to see if it's a parasite that the meds hold off for the moment before returning. I know your other fish isn't displaying any symptoms although a healthy fish with a strong immunity may be able to avoid being infected.

If you were to find the scrape came back clean, it could be something internal that we can't see.

If you want to scrape your fish, there's usually koi clubs around the States so it might be worth looking into.

When you medicated in the past, did you keep it up even after the symptoms disappeared? I've medicated fish that appeared well but once the meds were out of the water, the infection would return so now, if I have a sick fish, I make sure I complete the dosage and redose a second time incase it's an infection that's still there even though the symptoms have disappeared.

So there's no marks on the body? How does his poop look?

Guest Schmitter1

I'll have to look into possible Koi clubs around where i am at that could help out, because i wouldnt know how to diagnose it. I have tried using parasite meds for the recommended period, but I didn't at first, so maybe the parasite built up an immunity? Oh, and at first (like 3 years ago, when this started) he responded very quickly to Jungle Parasite Clear and would recover for up to a couple of months, but now it has no effect on him.

His poop seems normal as far as I can tell. He still eats alot during his healthy days.

The only marks he has is the red streak on his lip, though sometimes his lip will peel a little at the same place. Well, he actually has a small red spot on the middle of his body, but i think that has always been there.

So do you think it is a parasite that keeps resurfacing? Or could it be permanent damage?

Thanks

Everything seems to point to some kind of parasite and sometimes, when treating with meds such as parasite clear, it could take 3 treatments for them to be fully eradicated. This could be a possible reason for resurfacing but without a definite scrape, it's hard to know for sure - although my gut tells me it may be.

I wouldn't give up on him yet - because it may be something that's treatable with a couple of additional doses and hopefully you have a koi club near you that can help :)

Guest Schmitter1

Great, now my commet is acting crazy. He is darting around and rubbing against the gravel (not very often, but i have seen him do it like 3 times now). They are still eating though, and the commett doesnt have any marks or anything on him. I wonder why it took him a year to get it? Anyways, i guess thats proof that there is a parasite in there. Anyone have suggestions for parasite meds that are stronger than the Jungle Parasite Clear?

Archived