White Rice

Aleiah

Since all of our goldfish are now bigger, and can easily mouth a grain of cooked rice, I wanted to know if anyone has ever fed them rice. My uncle, an avid fish guru, swears that that's how he gets his goldfish so big! Is there any truth to that, or is he pulling my leg? :unsure:

I ask because I've learned from all of you that varying the gfs' diets will actually do them good...

Thanks! :)

Yes I feed cooked rice grains sometimes and they like them. They are carbs so not as much nutrition as pellets and veggies and will be fattening if you give too much maybe. I separate the grains and only give them one or 2 each :)

hehe... :lol1 i'm thinking about going all chinese on them, and making their main staple white rice, with a side of baby shrimp, peas, and pellets!

heck, if i grew up with rice for every meal, then why can't my "kids" grow up on it too? :D

but i'm still curious about the SBD thing...

• 3 weeks later...

omg, we fed them rice yesterday and they ate it up like little piggies! :D

i don't think it matters if your fish are small... cooked rice is so soft that they can chew it apart themselves! or if you really want to spoil them, you can split it apart before you put it in the tank! :yeah:

i fed them white rice... they eat it like anything..but afterwards its a real problem they make pooop & poop and poop yes it helps them with SBD. but in my openion this is not permenent solution of SBD. if one fish have SBD she will not be 100% aright whatever u do.

Sorry if i am wrong

i fed them white rice... they eat it like anything..but afterwards its a real problem they make pooop & poop and poop yes it helps them with SBD. but in my openion this is not permenent solution of SBD. if one fish have SBD she will not be 100% aright whatever u do.

Sorry if i am wrong

I agree w/ you. I have one fish w/ mind SBD. Rice couldn't cure his SBD 100%.

He only had half a grain. But he was a very small fish and got constipated with most things though he reacted rather badly even for him with the rice.

Perhaps brown rice would be more nutritionally advantageous to the fish b/c its much higher in fibre. Lots of commerical foods are low in fibre to reduce waste but its necessary to prevent constipation. I think I remember seeing somewhere about someone recommending it. Havent tried it myself though. Could be good as a part of a gel food!

Archived