Hi I'm New Here

Guest Betta_Fan

Guest Betta_Fan

Hi i'm looking at getting a Betta and would like some info on looking after a Betta.

1) What is the minimum volume of water you can keep one in e.g gallons?

2) I live in Australia and during the summer its warmer so would i need a heater on for the fish all year round?

3) Does the fish need a filter in the tank?

4) What types of food do Bettas eat?

5) Will a Betta live ok in a bowl providing its big enough?

I have my heart set on a betta because they look lovely, and I dont have the room for a goldfish. I know goldfish need a good size tank as it is.

You may get a few different answers as everyones take on keeping bettas is different.

1. Personally, 3 gallons is the minimum.

2. As long as the temperature remains steady, then the betta will be fine. Problems happen when people allow the temperatures to fluctuate. We know that wild bettas cope with falling temperatures at night, but these fish we keep now arent bred to be that tolerant and can suffer if the temperature gets too low or high quickly. If you know the house is going to be cooler at night then make sure the betta is in a warm room or has a small heater to keep things stable.

3. Gentle filtration is a good idea, so something like an air driven sponge filter would do. Some people just clean out the tank more often if they dont have a filter so they dont really need to worry about the cycle.

4. You can get betta pellets, but they also enjoy small insects and live/frozen/dried foods.

5. You must always make sure that the betta cant jump out if its uncovered, but as long as its big enough and not shaped like a goldfish bowl then it should be ok.

1. Some betta do fine in 1 gallon as long as you can keep up with the water changes and keep the bowl or tank clean then go for it. I really like the 2.5 gallon tank from vvvvv. I think they are about $7-$10. They are just your average like rectangle tanks. vvvvv also has 2.5 gallon bow fronts that come in funky colors.

2. Like Sandy said, as long at the temp stays about the same all the time then it should be fine. Bettas seem to be fine with about 75-78. Yours should be fine.

3. If you have a 2.5 gallon or higher then get a filter. Anything lower than 2.5 gallons just needs to have little water changes every other day and once a week full water changes.

4. I buy Hikari cichlids baby pellets. You can get a nice sized bag that will last you months, maybe even a whole year!

5. I keep 5 betta males in 1 gallon bowls. They each live next to a buddy(except one. he gets a small mirror) so that they have entertainment most of the day. I put a piece of paper in between the bowls so that they don't get stressed out. With 1-2 gallon bowls you need to do what I said above."Anything lower than 2.5 gallons just needs to have little water changes every other day and once a week full water changes."

Good luck and let us know when you get one!

Hi Betta_Fan.

Read the pinned posts at the top of the Betta Forum.

And you'll get lots of good advice from folks like Sandy and Sushi67.

Let us know how it goes.

and - Welcome!

jy711F.gif

Filtration is not neccesarey, and I feel my bettas appreciate still water. I have attempted keeping 2 healthy bettas in filtered tanks and they either get worn out and stuck to the filter, or end up spending most of there time on the bottom away from the filter, only to bolt up to the top for air and right back down to there hiding places. I have kept most of my bettas in 1-3gal bowls/tanks with no issues... I have noticed that the more water they have the more active they will be. I had a VT betta (morty) for 3yrs, at the time I had no clue what I was doing but he got water changed once a month at times (i forgot sometimes) and lived on an end table in a 1.5gal vase w/ peace lilly on top.

Make sure you get yourself an adequate sized home, a thermometer, and something to treat water with. Your betta will also appreciate a silk plant with big leaves to nap on or hide in. When picking a betta, get the healthiest looking, most active fish you can find. Make sure the to check for any whitespots, cloudy eyes, shredded fins, etc as these are indicators of sick fish.

Guest Betta_Fan

Thank you for the info guys. I have a 12 litre tank that hasnt been used in a while, it use to house hermit crabs when my brother was younger.

Thinking of using that, but i did see some bowl like things for fish with a good plastic cover to stop a fish jumping out. Not sure how much water it holds though.

I will let people know how I get on with buying a new friend. :bingo:

The minibow tank Sushi suggested is an excellent place to keep a betta. It comes with a filter already. you also shoul probably have a hidey hole type of ornament in there with him so he can take refuge when he wants. Get a silk plant or two or try your hand at having live one in there. The betta will love you for it cause it offers him a place to rest and hide as well. I have a ceramic turtle ornament in my tank and my betta loves to hide under it at times. He also loves laying in one of the plants. here is a pic of my mini bow setup

P1010196.jpg

Hello Betta Fan! I agree with Bettaqueen on the mini-bow tank setup she showed a pic of- it is perfect for a betta. And the filter it comes with has an adjustable flow on it. I went to a store here and picked up a kit for about $25...just had to pick up a few plants and some gravel.

:welcome

Guest Betta_Fan

:blink: That's a cute little tank,but it kills me how they put a goldfish on the pic! :krazy:

That tank would work well for a Betta. :D

Yeah i often wonder that.

It upsets me when i see goldfish in small bowls gasping for air. :cry1

That Marina starter tank is what I have one of my bettas in right now! Got a great deal on it, and thought it would be a neat little set up for my guy; he seems to like it. I just adjusted the flow down on the filter, cause they don't care much for a current.

For the Mini-bow, try this website: www.all-glass.com

They manufacture that tank. You can type in your zip code and search to see if anyone near you sells it. Good luck!

Guest Betta_Fan

Thanks Goldyfan, but I got a good pack for my betta.

Its a vitapet well it says goldfish starter kit, but i know a goldfish wont last long in a 1 1/2 bowl.

The pack is the following:

1) 1 1/2 gallon bowl.

2) 1 plastic plant.

3) 1 ornament.

4) 1 small bag of gravel.

5) 1 bottle of water conditioner.

6) 1 Goldfish flakes.

I got some betta food as well. Now i need to set it up and maybe look for heating for the fish. Don't think I will be getting the fish until the new year though.

Oh no problem. Happy to help! :thumb:

LOL Bettafan! No kidding! I have two but I am planning on adding another one soon. I am so in love with those mini-bow tanks! I checked that website with the hopes that Betta_fan could order from them, but at least it lets you do local searches in your area. How is Zeke doing?

Archived