Suggestions For A New Mini Gravel Vac?

bettaqueen

Since I had upgraded Zeke to a 2.5 gallon filtered tank I was wondering if any of you all have any suggestion for a mini gravel vaccum considering I will probably only have to change half of his water each week. Or do you all think a turkey baster would be good enough. Tell what you all use

Thanks Devs for the advice. I think I am going to use a turkey baster to remove goop on the bottom of the tank so as not to make so much suction and scare him. I probably will use the airline tubing and a oral syringe method for removing the water . It worked fine when did water changes to my bare bottomed goldie tank.

Hi Bettaqueen! I got a gravel vac at nnnnnn...probly about 1 1/2 inches diameter...not as big as the Python, and I use that on my mini-bow 2.5 with no problems. The suction isn't too strong. A baster is a great way to remove the poo from the bottom of the tank too! I bought one just for that reason after reading it in a tip of the month on this site. How is he doing in his new tank? I believe I have the same tank as you, only in red. My boy loves it!

He was sick , but now that he is well again he is loving it. He has a hidey hole underneath the ceramic turtle ornament but he seems to like to hide behind the filter. He is enjoying all the room and the two plants that are in there. Thanks for the info. How much water do you change with your 2.5 minibow a week? I have the charcoal filter running at it almost makes no movement of the water. I think I will get me a mini vaccum and a turkey baster too.

I use the same 1 1/2 gravel vac for my 6gal and it will suck up most debris. I do a %100 weekly water change and cleaning in my 2.5's and bowl, but they are filterless. I would say 25-30% change as long as your water params are ideal.

I vac the bottom and change about 50% each week....Saturday is my official 'fishtank day.' I am running the little whisper filter too...don't have it turned up full power, knowing how they like still water. Doesn't seem to bother him a bit! He loves the room as well. I am glad your Zeke is doing better. I love those mini-bow tanks. I am thinking about getting another one soon.... :rolleyes: my apartment is turning into a zoo, and I love every minute of it!!

Thanks . Saturday is my fish day too. I am going to get me a mini vac tonight . Zeke is really enjoying it. One of his favorite places to hide besides the usual under the turtle ornament and in the plants, is behind the filter and the back wall of the tank. I enjoy watching his antics. He makes me laugh

My little red guy does the same thing...he can't quite get all the way behind the filter though. I have the tank on a wide ledge between the dining room and kitchen, and every time I walk by he tries to squeeze behind the filter to see where I am going. Quite comical. I think they are both truly enjoying the fact that they can keep me in their sight...silly little boys. It's amazing how such a small creature can be so clever!

Who would have thought such a little creature could act so big and spunky? That's why I am so fascinated by them.

You have a pic of Zeke in his new home? I am gonna try to get some pics of mine soon.

So pleased Zeke is alot better.I use an small air pump powered vac if I reacall its made by marina.It has a small bag for collecting debris.I find its great for my small betta tanks.It also extends so I use it in my 20 gallon as well for quick clean ups

Thanks Blue. I have seen those before but they are rather pricey here in the states. I ended up buying a lee's jr gravel vac. and some more bettafix to keep on hand. In fact I am going to do another week of bettafix and salt with him after I do the water change tomorrow. You usaully only treat for one week with bettafix but because of his age I thought I would do a another week of treatment to be safe. I think he had velvet and the beginning of fin rot when I started treatment on him. I noticed last night that the very tip of one of his ventral fins is missing. I don't know how old fish are but I know elderly people have less resistance to germs and disease cause of their weakened immune system , so I am keeping him on the salt and bettafix for another week. Other than that he is doing great.

Yah I have to borrow my mom's dig cam...never got around to buying my own yet.

Well I will keep my fins crossed for your lil' guy. He's got a lot of pep and a strong will! :exactly Good thing he has a great mom to care for him. :D

He is doing great and is back to normal. I have never seen him blow a bubble nest. I just chalked it up to him being an elderly betta. But yesterday he made this huge bubble nest. He is so funny . Anytime I come over to the end of the tank where he has the bubble nest he swims over to protect it. you would think he had babies in there or something the way he defends it. I am just happy he is blowing bubble nests :exactly

Archived