Goldfish Wont Eat Medicated Food

Guest jamoko

it's a week tomorrow since it's hospital tankmate died from a terrible ulcer, and at that time the medicated food had only arrived. i cant get her to eat at all...she goes for the food keen enough, sucks on it then spits it back out...how long can she go on not eating...should i give her ordinary food just to get her eating?

Jude

you could try adding come garlic to it, i think you can buy garlic essence/oil or something, which you could soak into the pellet first or something? or even dissolve a little garlic power in some water with the pellet.

garlic is supposed to stimulate the fish's appetite and make the food taste better.

I agree with the garlic, fish are supposed to like it even those that refuse to eat anything else.

Its a shame the fish isnt eating the food Jude.

Maybe cut it small and hide it in some pea?

My goldie is doing the same, keen on eating until she figures out its medi gold and then spits it back out. After a week she'll eat 1-3 pellets every few hours I'm going to try the garlic method as well. Good luck with your fish Jude, I'm sorry you lost your other fish. :(

Try mashing up the food with a pea. I tried that with my babies and they ate it because they couldn't help sucking some of it in with the pea. It does make a mess though. I usually shut off my filter until it settles to the bottom.

Hi guys.... yep likewise neither peas or garlic worked...gobbled the peas up but spat them out again...then i tried the garlic and still not interested at all. no joy tonight either...i've given her a couple of bits of normal food and i'm now thinking she can't swallow, as she'll take it in but spit it back out...i broke it up smaller but still she spits it out. She's very active and is going mad after the food but just won't eat it. That's 8 days now :(

her ulcer is very deep...i can now see the grains in her side like you would see in a piece of salmon! and her tail is getting tatty..a couple of wee tiny bits of white, like cotton wool.

soooooooo frustrating!!!!

I read on a number of other websites, which I dont think we are allowed to link to on here, that spitting out food is almost always to do with a fluke infestation.

Ive seen Sterazin by Waterlife for sale in Jollys Lisburn that says it treats gill and body flukes should you decide to go with that.

i don't think it's flukes...the oly symptom for that would be the ulcer.

How do you know if she has paracites and how do you go about treating?

Well to be for sure you have to scrape the fish and look with a microscope.

There are symptoms that you can treat if you suspect parasites. Such as yawning alot, rubbing on things, clamped fins, spitting foods or darting around the tank.

How are the fish doing?

only sympton from that would be the spitting the food out. i gave her a bit today and after 2 mins she hadn't spit it out but i can't be sure she ate it. i tried her with another bit later but she wasn't interested. The hospital tank is now fully cycled so hopefully that will help make things a little better now. I am still addding myxazin daily and dosing with gensys which helps prevent ulcers (could have done with this earlier i know) water is salted to 0.3% as well.

Ok, I wonder if there isn't a parasite problem going on as well. How long have you been at 0.3% salt?

Getting her to eat is obviously a big thing, it will help her get strength to help fight whatever is bothering her. Good luck.

hi,

double check your fish's eyes and face to see if they are swollen. The fish could not chew/swallow. That was why the fish spit the food out. You can add epsom salt and Marasyn II if you see the problems I mentioned above.

hi sorry, have been at work 13hrs a day the past 3 days and haven't had a much time to check back here. 2 weeks tonight since she ate, not interested at all now. she's just sitting round the bottom of the tank. Salt has been at 0.3% since end of summer is this too long? what do i do with epson salt?

thanks

Jude

I think having her in that amount for so long cant be doing her kidneys any good.

Slowly take the salt out with water changes. Do 30% every day for a 4 days and that should be enough.

Keep the water clean and warm and see how dhe does with that.

Im not sure either if the meds you are/have been using is good with salt.

hi Laurie,

According to some articles I read.

Epsom salt helps the fish to remove fluids from their body.

you can read the information below:

Let us make one thing clear, dropsy is not a disease. Dropsy is a term to describe a collection of symptoms brought about by the progressive failure of the fish's kidney. The common symptoms are popeyes, bloating and lifting of their scales away from the body (pineconing). That is why it is sometimes referred to as Pineconing disease.

As their kidney function decreases, the fish begins to loose their ability to remove fluids from their body and it is this buildup of fluids within that cause the bloating and the eventual pineconing. Theoretically, any parasites, diseases, infections that affects the kidney can lead to dropsy but the most common cause is systemic bacterial infection by either Aeromonas or Pseudomonas. The unfortunate fact about dropsy is that by the time the obvious symptoms are evident, the damage to the kidney is already done and the chance of recovery is very slim. We often see a fish swimming and feeding normally but is obviously pineconed, in such cases, it really is "dead fish swimming".

Is dropsy 100% fatal? No, there is a chance that if the fluid buildup can be reversed and the fish is given appropriate medications and care, the kidney might heal. That is the theory but in practice, it is very difficult to do. The success rate is typically less than 5%. The standard mantra when attempting to treat dropsy is raise the water temperature gradually to 78*F in a hospital tank, add/increase aeration, salt to 0.3%, treat with injectable antibiotics or Maracyn I & II and feed medicated food such as medi-koi/medi-gold. Salt bath at higher concentration might be used in an attempt to kick start the osmotic process. Epsom salt are often mentioned.

David 1 why epsom salt?

thanks for that david, now i understand dropsey a bit better. I looked at her eyes and cheeks tonight and they do not appear swolen or anything.

sandy, thanks for the advice, unfortunately i thought i was doing good salting to 0.3% so is it possible i have contributed to her worsening condition. how long a period is it safe to salt for so i know better for the future?

and you think the slat may have been stoping the myxazin working properly :( oh dear!

i can't see her lasting much longer like this and i'm beginning to wonder would it be kinder to end her suffering as she's been ill for so long now.

Jude

Keep lowering the salt and stick to clean water.

Will she eat anything at all? Maybe if you made a little bit of home made food then she may be more tempted as it isnt hard.

A little tuna mix it with some garlic essence and soaked medigold and add some squashed peas and then pour in some melted gelatine then let it freeze in ice cube trays. Put a couple in the fridge to set and then see if she will eat that way.

Ok, the thread got confusing for a bit and I wasn't clear with why.

I agree with Sandy, hopefully she can pull thru. But it may be too late, keep us posted.

Archived