Tv Goldfish, Writing A Letter, Need Help

lepirin

I watched the latest episode of an English show and it contained a goldfish in a scummy bowl. I'm writing a letter to the people responsible for the show as well as to the BBC, encouraging them to not show images like that unless they've got a good reason to, and as a talking point in my letter, I'd like to tell them how much it would cost for them to have set up a proper container for the goldfish in question. Kind of like a, "It would have cost you ____, and instead of having every educated goldfish lover viewing your show cringe when they saw the bowl, they would have been overjoyed at you demonstrating proper fish keeping in an extreme closeup" . . . but clearly worded better.

Anyway as I don't even know where to start looking for how much the absolute minimal setup would cost if you were in the UK (as I'm in the US), I was wondering if I could call on you guys for some help in finding the prices for a tank at least 10 US gallons/8.3 UK gallons/38 liters (yes we know he would need a larger one eventually, but trying to emphasize my point that bare minimums would be feasible to do), 100 us gph/8.3 uk gph/3800 liters per hour filter, air pump and air stone. I think that is all the equipment they would need to have on set, since to replicate the original shot they would only be using the corner of the tank.

So um, if anybody can help by a rough estimate for that stuff, I would greatly appreciate it. I can send the letter off without it, but I think this would be something that might be a good addition to what I've already got.

in my lfs a 10gal tank is around ?55, and a filter would be about ?30. I think you could piece together an entire set up (tank, lights, hood, filter, airstone) for about ?200 minimum.

What TV show was it??? Where was the fish and how was it shown?

I was wondering which show it was as well. It's not an image we see too often on TV anymore, more in cartoons and in print :)

yeah thats what i thought. although i recently saw a film (US) with a big orange ranchu in a tank no bigger than 6gals. wish i could remember the film.

now that i think about it i think there are far too many innappropriate depictions of fishkeeping in the media. Greetings cards with fish in bowls, advertisements, films and TV....

Thanks for the info, I'm sending you both a PM with the name of the show and a description of how the fish was used. I want to avoid posting it on the forums so the thread doesn't get closed, and Koko doesn't end up with a bunch of trouble if we get over excited and slightly enraged on behalf of the poor goldfish.

i have pm'd you back. Thanks for the helpful info.

In my opinion it's just not necessary nowadays for television shows that are so 'modern' to still use old fashioned ideas about keeping fish.

Fish in bowls is simply an outdated idea that should not still be perpetuated in the media.

(ironically, when you do see a fish tank, it's usually tropical! It seems to be only goldfish getting such a raw deal!)

Good idea not naming the show, dont want to cause any trouble.

I saw one recently too, I think its probably the same show, since you mention the BBC. Where the fish was dancing or something? lol

For the point of the show.. I think they would only need a tank, if you tell them they should have bought a filter and everything they may not listen. Plus the audience would only notice the tank and how big it is, not that is has all the neccessary equipment.

You can get a 15G clearseal tank for ?25. Probably the same amount they paid for that glass bowl.

For the point of the show.. I think they would only need a tank, if you tell them they should have bought a filter and everything they may not listen. Plus the audience would only notice the tank and how big it is, not that is has all the neccessary equipment.

You can get a 15G clearseal tank for ?25. Probably the same amount they paid for that glass bowl.

good point. a tank is the main thing.

Archived