Ill New Betta

selythe

One or two of you may have seen the adventure (such as it was) with my sister's betta Cern, RIP and so forth.

Today I was hunting around for a smaller portion of Hikari Gold for my goldfish at the local fish franchise, and peered at the bettas for the memory. One of the females, yes, the females, advanced and flared her fins at me challengingly.

For a female, her fins were fairly long; for a male, especially the long-finned males she was surrounded by, she was quite petite.

Heck, she wasn't even the prettiest there, fairly ugly in her mish-mash of colors.

Maybe that's why the sort of "Wanna make something of it?" called to me.. @_@

I wanted to know, though -- Upon peering closer at her in her new tank, I've noticed some of the same slimy whitish stuff that took Cern out, ultimately. She's very energetic, and I added four drops of Aquarium Solution's Betta Revive, that has neomycin sulfate, methylene blue, and malachite green in it. I also added about a half a teaspoon of kosher salt.

Is there anything else I can do to increase her chances? I'd hate to get a fighter like that this far, then fail her... as absurd as it feels to have instantly bonded with a betta of all things... no not a puppy.. not a horse.. a betta. @_@;;;

I plan on heading back to the store to pick up a Hydor heater shortly, and can do water changes as often as daily if necessary... but partial or full changes? Any other meds I should try instead? Or a different dosage?

I'll have pics, once I can find my cameraphone...

The tank is a 2 gallon Aquatic Solutions hex tank with the UGF running. Though it's more like an under-stone filter, at this point.

:lol1

The white seems more present at the edges of her fins, and a white spot the size of a small pinhead, beneath and between her pectoral fins. It does not seem to dominate her color, or be near her gills.

She's already risen from sitting on the bottom to start cruising the middle, is not gasping (phew for that!), and has found her own reflection on the tank wall to flare her darker red gills (undergills?) at it a few times, with a peck at the glass for good measure, before swimming back to her lazy assessment of the tank.

I also would like to know if anyone had good ideas for DIY in-tank separators, as I'm not entirely sure I'll escape the local fish franchise without another girl.. in for a penny...

...and there was one that had pretty coloration, though she was far more subdued...

Pics would be good.

Did you have the betta in the same tank as the new one? If so did you sterilise it well?

Is she scratching or jittery through the water?

It could be anything from the water to parasites to the dreaded columnaris.

Test the water just to make sure everything is normal.

Believe me, after how quickly Cern bit it, I decided easily not to transfer anything over.. I also poured out most of the water from the betta cup before transferring her over with just a little of it, given my previous experiences with their bettas being diseased.

Not a single plant, filter, stone, or definitely not the tank was previously used by the ill fish. They were both bought at the same store, however.

She is not scratching up against things, and she is gliding smoothly through the water, not jittery. She seems to be darting around less fanatically than she was in the little petstore cup, though she's been paying quite a bit of attention to her reflection. *Halo*

The water is my tap water, same as I use with the goldfish, who all test within normal limits on their periodic water tests. The conditioner is API's Tap Water Conditioner, again, same that I use with my goldfish. I let the water sit out for an hour or so and ran the filter for fifteen minutes before putting her in... more or less by accident while I figured out how to put together the darned thing. And an hour later, it all appears to be in good order still.

She's perking up some, even eyeing the two little betta baby-pellets I dropped in to see if she'd have any interest. I'm just concerned to create the ideal conditions...

...(Yes, aside from not running the tank 24 hours... stupid impulse call.. :whatjust: *hits head to desk*)

Hi Johnny Five. Congrats on rescue your new girl.

As for treatment . I would not be mixing all those meds and the salt together.got too many mixed together. And I would do what Sandy said about sterilizing the tank. Some of the meds do not mix with the salt. And Think you might want to do a water change and put salt and some bettafix ( I got it at mmm and it worked wonders with my fish) . The bettafix can be used together with the salt. Here is a desription of what it takes care of from their website.http://www.mmm.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=130&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=bettafix&sku=871630&familyID=10673&

The bettafix can be used in conjunction with salt. I would keep the temp up as well with a heater.

The white spot - could that be her ovipositor? Its sited where they poop from and makes identifying females easier.

The fraying of the fins could be a touch of finrot so i would stop using the meds and salt at 1 level teaspoon per gallon and again 12 hours later.

The white spot was directly between what I'm guessing to be her pectoral fins -- just a little further towards the tail than the bottom of her gills.

The meds I have are all part of a single medication, it was being sold at the local fish franchise as "Betta Revive" with all of those as ingredients. It's distributed by Hikari Sales, so I figured it would be decent -- but I'll change out some of the water and just stick with the salt at first, see how she does.

I didn't see Bettafix, but I'll keep an eye out..

Oh, and got a Hydor, rated for 2-5 gallons, I'll rinse it off and toss it in shortly. ^_^ Once I finish dinner....

Thanks for the info, everyone! I really appreciate it, and I think she's already acting like she doesn't have anything at all. ;) Even with the edges of her tail.. yeah.. she has spirit.

The edges of her tail aren't quite as fuzzy, though still lined with a slight white hue. Go Ariador!

I got a heater installed, and oddly, her color seems completely different from what it was in the pet store... Yes.. pics to follow as soon as the decorations are finished bleaching and assembled.

The two-gallon tank drove me insane, with the difficulty of lifting the lid or of moving the tank, so I returned it and got a bare bones ten gallon to start working on.. gives me a little more leeway on customization.

Maybe digging drainage ditches a couple days ago was a good thing.. gets me all sorts of river stones to process and use...

And yes, the white spot was directly beneath her ventral fins.. I had to look it up a few different times to be able to remember what was where.

That is good that she is doing better. I would still keep up with the salt treatement and maybe the betta fix if you can get it for at lest a weak. The 10 gallon sounds wonderful. She should love all that room and in fact you could get a sorority of females going.

Aaactually..

That's exactly what I did. Four girls, though I'm debating putting up a divider and having a fancy male in one side. Or just sticking with girls.

And I've been sticking with the salt, and got an appropriate heater.. the heater above all else seemed to perk them up immediately, along with the extra space once they'd adjusted to it.

The tank with everyone. I used a touch of aquarium sealant to hold the two clumps of rock together.

bettas.jpg

Ariador (the red vt washed in blue) and Shandathe (red pk).

arishan.jpg

Ariador, a floating onion bulb, and one of the two unnamed ones.

arinew.jpg

And finally, the fourth and last, also unnamed.

blue.jpg

Thanks Goldyfan!

She's already bossing the other three around -- taking after her namesake, a shrewish villainess, I suppose!

Just as Shandathe is being a rather sneaky little girl.. hmm.. Maybe I should name the other two something nice and fluffy. Just in case. @_@;;

Do you keep bettas, or solely goldfish?

Though I did have a question, how many females, or females + 1 male, would I be able to healthily stock in the ten gallon tank? I'm planning on adding vegetation, whether real or silk, soon, and debating whether or not a weak sponge filter would be worthwhile.

The sponge filter would be good. you want something that does not create a lot of current. I would recommend silk plants ( with plastic bigger chance of them tearing their fins) with broad leafs so they can rest on them. 4 girls in a 10 gallon sounds about right. Did I read the thread right ? Are you thinking about putting a 1 male in with the females? That would not be a good idea. He would try to kill the females . I would make sure you have a heater in the tank as well. A a couple of good hidey hole caves or equivalent would be good when one of them wants to hide.

A couple of those look like males.

Can you get bigger pics up and closer ones too?

I know its not easy as they move quite fast.

None of them making bubble nests?

Two of them are hiding in the rocks, and Ariador is chasing Zhai (white pk with red fins has a name now!) lazily. Not fast, and they're not trying to eat one another...

I tried to get s'more pics, but they're not turning out well; they're definitely not any clearer than the previous ones.

However, at one point or another today, I've seen each of the four of them have a white spot at their ventral fins. There aren't scattered pieces of white, today, anywhere else on their body.

And as far as a male there.. I was thinking potentially in a sectioned off bit, not running free with them. @_@;;; Ooh that would not be fun....

I have a 50 watt heater, and so far the thermometer is hovering at 78-79 degrees steadily. I'll look into a filter.. though my next priority is going to be plants or more rock cover. ^_^;;

The three, aside from Ariador (vt blue-washed red, to review) are all ultra short-finned... not as if the fins are rotted, but as if they haven't grown out yet, so far as I can tell.

((edit)):

Not a trace of bubbles or bubble nests to be found.

...Me and my big mouth... do the guys ever put the bubbles on the sides of the tank walls or the heater if there isn't anything floating around on top? I thought they were due to the water being nearly 80 degrees Fahrenheit.. but six hours later and they're still there.

I added two styrofoam cup halves to the top of the water to see if it'll lure anyone into making bubbles while I can catch them at it...

SANDY, HOW DO YOU KNOW THESE THINGS?! *Gets Sandy's number picks for the lottery*

From the first description of Ariador - physical and personality - I was half convinced "she" was possibly a male Plakat

Here's pics Johnny Five

http://www.atisonbetta.com/gallery8.asp

Could Ariador possibly be a male Plakat?

Which one does it resemble?I could be a plakat. Do you have a dig camera where you can post a pic? Junvenile males sometimes have shorter fins.A pic would help if you can get one. You may have to take the ones you are photographing and fill a seperate glass container with water and try taking a pic of the individual fish that way to get a clearer pic of it

Possibly, but I'm not personally convinced that she's entirely plakat

Her tail droops into a sort of point, rather than being rounded off... she might just be a substandard male veiltail? Or do plakats sometimes have the same shape of tail?

It's definitely possible, though I don't see any more bubbles today, and she seems to have settled in with the other three for now.

I'll continue to watch all of them, though. Good thing I already have a divider in case the girls hadn't gotten along when I bought them..

It still could be a plakat , but a better pic of him or her flaring ( yes the girls spread their tail in a flare too) would help decide for sure. And believe it or not there is the rare female who blows bubbles. Just ask Sushi or was it Kissy. Anyway one of their females blows bubbles.

Hehe, I didn't even see your post before I posted last time... sorry bettaqueen!

I couldn't get her to flare too much, though I got a little bit.. as soon as she got agitated, she'd dart around the Mason jar like a crazyfish.

Yes, "like." :o

ariador0.jpg

ariador1.jpg

ariador2.jpg

(edit):

Hm, she looks a little more red than she did yesterday... and already lost the greenwash that I saw in the petstore. Hm!

That helps. It looks like a male veiltale to me. Just becuase at the moment he is not aggresive does not mean he may not become so. Also some male's are a little more docile than others but you still should not keep them together with the females.

Alright... behind the divider s/he goes.

Might as well be on the safe side. *plays the taps for his little sorority setup!*

It's a shame, too, I was hoping to breed them someday, once I found a good male, and had more experience under my belt..

Ah well. They're still some seriously awesome bettas. I'll just root for Edward and Marie to get me some babies when they're ponded in the Spring! :krazy:

Thanks for all your input, guys and gals, you've been more patient than this betta newbie probably deserves. :)

Archived