Two's Company

Guest Brock

So I've inherited two new fishtanks. One big one, and one even bigger one.

The plan is the recondition them both, starting with the smaller of the two. When I've done this, I want to transfer my two existing goldfish, Flotsam and Jetsam, into it. I can't wait to see what they think of their new environment.

But I plan to introduce a new fish to the new tank as well. But, considering that Flotsam and Jetsam have lived together for about six months on their own, what are the chances that they'll gang up on their new companion?

It will really depend on the personality of your goldfish. I had a goldfish previously that LOVED making new friends and would swim next to them immediately. I've also owned a few that would either ignore the new comer or pick on them relentlessly.

So really, you won't really know until you've tried.

Guest urbanangel85

sorry wandering away from the question here a bit,but,what do you do if they keep picking on the new comer?is there away to stop it???

Urbanangel: you can try rearanging the tank decor: that way all of your fish will have different surrondings and the old fish won't be as territorial.

I think it'll depend on personality, but also space in the tank; if the fish are overcrowded, they'd be more territoral. Do you know the tank sizes? Maybe you should work put them in the bigger tank instead of the smaller one?

BTW, I like your fish's names.

sorry wandering away from the question here a bit,but,what do you do if they keep picking on the new comer?is there away to stop it???

you can change 100% of the water and change the tank around. this usually works :)

Archived