Goldfishes Size

Guest Nutrafin

Guest Nutrafin

My goldfish is fantail goldfish although I dont know what species anyway I am a little worried that it is not growing well but everything looks fine D4 my goldfish does not have any diseases and nothings wrong with it but it is not growing very big I have owned D4 for 3 months I am new to taking care of goldfish but I try to find out everything about goldfish. :o

Hi Nutrafin :) Welcome to Koko's-

I will have to agree with Tropicana, D4 might not be growing due to stunting, Often time's this will happen in the Pet Store's and we don't realize the severity of it right away. There is a chance that he is still a baby (in my opnion anyawy's), You say that you have had D4 for 3 Month's--Just keep an eye on him, He might start growing like a weed. The size of the tank will factor in also, Like Tropicana mentioned. :)

Good Luck with him! Keep us posted.

I belive that stunted means that it was kept in a small tank/bowl and it is permanately small. It may cause problems like swim bladder or a slightly mishapen body.

I would definitely wait a little while before jumping to conclusions though. What/how much is he eating?

Genetic's play a huge role in how fast your goldfish grows,along with the first 160 days of it's life.Pristene water and good healthy food also play key roles.

Stunted fish may appear normal on the outside,but inside they may have alot of issues down the road with their health and such.

Guest Nutrafin

It is 1.77 us gallons the petstore said that is enoufgh for the size of my goldfish :D

It is 1.77 us gallons the petstore said that is enough for the size of my goldfish :D

That's why your fish isn't growing. 1.77 gallons is WAY WAY WAY to small for a goldfish. The rule is 10 gallons per goldfish. However a 10 gallon tank is still to small to keep even one goldfish healthy as it gets bigger. I would recommend getting a 29 gallon aquarium. Anything smaller is to small for even one adult goldfish.

your tank is too small. goldfish need a minimal of 10 gallons because they can get to be 6-8 inches. they are also very dirty fish so toxins can build up really fast. you should never listen to the lfs because they are usually wrong.

if you cant afford a larger tank, i would recamend getting a rubbermaid container.

Big Supporter of Rubbermaids. They rule! It's what I kept my fish in. And your fish will be better off. You can find used tanks pretty cheaply. Just make sure you have good filtration and you take care of the water quality. If you try your best to make sure your fishis happy, he will grow into a big beautiful and very interactive fish.

• 4 years later...

That's why your fish isn't growing. 1.77 gallons is WAY WAY WAY to small for a goldfish. The rule is 10 gallons per goldfish. However a 10 gallon tank is still to small to keep even one goldfish healthy as it gets bigger. I would recommend getting a 29 gallon aquarium. Anything smaller is to small for even one adult goldfish.

I was considering getting a companion for my calico ryukin Abby. She is currently in a 29-gallon tank. If I got another goldfish, would this size be too small for two? Thanks.

I was considering getting a companion for my calico ryukin Abby. She is currently in a 29-gallon tank. If I got another goldfish, would this size be too small for two? Thanks.

29g would be fine for two, but no more than two, and good 50-75% weekly water changes and test water regularly. :)

Nutrafin,

First off, welcome to Kokos! Its always nice to see a young fishkeeper like golden fishy or myself joining Koko's-you will learn alot. I was like you, I got my first goldfishes when I was 9 (four of them-the pet store said it would be okay) and didnt know much- I kept them in a 5 us gallon tank, fed flakes, and I didnt clean them out very much..

That has all changed thanks to Koko's goldfish forum and its wonderful, knowledgeable members. My current goldfish is now in a 36 gallon, I have a test kit, I am feeding him proper food (I used to feed Nutrafin max flakes, but now I feed Hikari pellets, Tubifex worms and bloodworms).

He lived in that 5 gallon tank for 18 months of his life, and he is currently four inches long.

Proper aquariums like the one I now have can be pretty expensive- I am english, so it was ?300. You could get your parents to buy you a used tank from craigslist.com or eBay. Like cometgoldielover and peaches said, you could purchase a rubbermaid tub. Pet shops often will tell you (especially ones like pet$mart) that goldfish are easy beginner fish, and are convienient as they can live in small bowls but they are WRONG! Goldfish (this is more aimed at fancy goldfish-the ones with twin tails) are harder to care for than the pet store will let you believe.

Put a small live plant in your fish's tank for now- Java fern would be good. Live plants will absorb a toxin called Nitrates. Having a live plant is no excuse for not changing the water in your fish's tank though.

Do you have a filter? If not, you would need one that filtered the tanks water ten times hourly- your tank's volume is closer to two gallons than one gallon, so for a two gallon tank, you would need a filter thats output per hour was 20 gallons. more than that is definetly okay.

I hope this helps!

ilovefantails :)

ilovefantails...I had responded to calico lady, who posted yesterday in this 5 year old topic. Nutrafin posted this originally in 2006. :)

awkwaaaarrrd :(

Archived