Sick Fish

Guest mkr

I've had my goldfish for almost a year and he is constantly sick. first I started soaking his food which helped, but he has trouble swimming. Sometimes he just sits on the floor of his tank, or he floats so badly he can't swim. He is in a nice tank with a good filter but I dont' know what to do. Is it possible he has a bladder problem that won't get better? Also a friend of mine reccomended I put a mirror behind his tank but when I did that today he freaked out and looked like he was dead for a long time (floating belly up) now suddenly he is swimming (kind of) around his tank. I just feel bad for him, because he can't be happy living like this but I don't know what to do for him.

I've had my goldfish for almost a year and he is constantly sick. first I started soaking his food which helped, but he has trouble swimming. Sometimes he just sits on the floor of his tank, or he floats so badly he can't swim. He is in a nice tank with a good filter but I dont' know what to do. Is it possible he has a bladder problem that won't get better? Also a friend of mine reccomended I put a mirror behind his tank but when I did that today he freaked out and looked like he was dead for a long time (floating belly up) now suddenly he is swimming (kind of) around his tank. I just feel bad for him, because he can't be happy living like this but I don't know what to do for him.

I don't know if you've posted this in the Disease and Diagnosis section, but I recommend doing that. One of the mods will probably move it there for you.

Answer as many questions at the top of the Disease and Diagnosis section as you can and they will be able to help you out as well as they can.

Good luck with the little guy.

Hi and :welcome

well, what can sometimes help with swimbladder issues is to not feed the fish for 3 days. after the 3 days, you feed him de-sheled, non-salted peas for 3 days. another problem that can cause sbd is too high of nitrates. i have a ryukin named peaches that starts to get sbd problems when the nitrates are only 30 ppm. I know that some fish will even have sbd problems when the nitrates are only at 10 ppm. you can lower the nitrates by doing water changes. they should always be under 40 ppm

Also, Dont put mirrors by tanks. they can really stress the fish out.

hope this helps and good luck!!

I am going to move this to the appropriate area for more help for you.If you could answer as many questions as you can,that would be a great start on us being on the same page.There arew alot of reasons as to why your fish may be behaving in this manner,we just have to do a process of elimination.It could be anything from poor water quality.to feeding the wron food,to over feeding,to past history of the care of this fish.The more info that we know,the more we can try to figure it out. :)

Archived