Inhibited Sight

Guest Brock

Ok, so I know that a wen can inhibit sight, and celestials have a harder time searching for food than their regular eyed counterparts - which can lead to them missing out at feeding time if they share a tank with more ably sighted fish.

But...

How fragile are the fish? Are globe-eye's likely to incur eye damage, or have they eyeballs sucked out by agressives Ryukins? Or will a slightly jagged piece of gravel blind them?

I'm thinking about getting a globe-eye, probably a broadtail moor, but I want them to live uninjured for as long as possible, and don't like the idea of them floating around with an empty eyesocket.

Does any of this make sense? I'm tired and it's been a stressful day.

As you know all goldies are coldwater fish and arae very hardy. Celestials could even be kept in ponds, don't dought them.

I don't think a moor will be injured at all. I have a ryukin, oranda, and moor together. They are fine. Monitor his eating and he should be fine.

Their eyes won't be a problem as far as what you are saying, keep a good eye on all of your fish and their behaviors.

Brock you make perfect sense.

It is recommended that "eye" breeds be kept with eye breeds, for simply the reasons you stated. However there are members who keep them with other fish. Many don't have a problem but some do.

So I guess it comes down to whether you want to risk it or not.

Or try it and see if it works. I would recommend though that if you try it to have a back up plan if a problem is to occur.

Another tank and whole set up so that you can remove the "eye" fish and it live happily ever after seperately from the other fish.

Inhibited sight doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I recently bought a 6" orange telescope (orange moore, except moores are black) that was missing an eye. The wound was completely healed so it must have happened a long time ago. She swims around normally. Although she doesn't seem to be able to see the food she has no problem searching for food and finding it. She's with two 6" comets and they're fine together.

My first goldfish was an albino blackmoor, who I still have today. When I got her back in January her vision was perfect, but after I had had her for a few months, I noticed her eyesight starting to diminish, and within a few months of that, she was down to only being able to distinguish between sudden large changes in light (ie: when I turned the tank light on or off), and now I'm not sure if she can even tell that much anymore. I'd heard that telescope/globe-eye goldfish were prone to vision problems, so I wasn't surprised, and it was a very gradual loss, so she had plenty of time to adjust to not being able to see.

She's never had any problems getting her share of the food. I usually drop it in her vicinity, to give her a little extra edge. The other goldfish she's with help out unintentionally, because they grab a huge mouthful or two and then spend time chewing it up while she finds smaller bites and goes for more right away.

She's also never had any injuries, before or after she went blind, to her eyes from ornaments or gravel, or her tankmates (a ryukin, an oranda, and another blackmoor).

Archived