Red Dragon Half Moon Butterfly Betta

dfernandez77

Here is my Betta Zhao Yun flaring today.

I only show him a mirror once or twice a week. Honestly I don't know if all the effort he puts into flaring is good for him to get a workout, or if it stresses him.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFEPncTL1kI"></param><embed'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFEPncTL1kI"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFEPncTL1kI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed></object>

In any case his wacky dances when I come into the room are impressive enough - so I really don't need to see him flare. Here's the "Hello I see you and I deserve to be fed soon before I pass out from excitement." dance.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrejuPCIVII"></param><embed'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrejuPCIVII"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrejuPCIVII" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed></object>

he's gorgeous!!!

hmm isn't his name one of those general people from chinese history? back when the territories were fighting? :blink: haha if i make any sense... :D

Your betta is beautiful!! I just love how these little guys act so ferocious LoL. :D

Just curious, do you have a filter for your container and how often do you change the water? I'm thinking of getting a larger home for a couple of my bettas and am looking for ideas. :)

Your betta is beautiful!! I just love how these little guys act so ferocious LoL. :D

Just curious, do you have a filter for your container and how often do you change the water? I'm thinking of getting a larger home for a couple of my bettas and am looking for ideas. :)

Ferocious, yeah - then he turns and runs away just as fast. :D

No filter, I do a 50% water change every two days. It's about 4.5 gallons total water volume.

Thanks for the nice words. He's a great Betta - and cracks me up all the time. I wish the second video worked, he's such a spaz when he thinks I might feed him. :krazy:

Oww what happened to the lower part of his tail? :blink:

Huh!?

Nothing happened to his tail. He is undamaged. His tail is clear in some places - maybe that looks like damage sometimes.

When he's not flaring his tail falls all over itself like a heap of lace, so you can't see the clear rays at the end.

Very pretty and gorgous fishie Dan. I would not worry about stressing him out by getting him to flare a couple times a week, if it is just for brief periods and then you take the mirror away . he definitely is a handome little man :exactly

It looks like some of his anal fin has gone where it meets the bottom of his tail. I think thats what Riz is looking at anyway.

Yep that's it. I looked at the movie again and the back part of his anal fin near the tail definitely has a chunk missing. Still, a marvellous betta.

Yep that's it. I looked at the movie again and the back part of his anal fin near the tail definitely has a chunk missing. Still, a marvellous betta.

You know what? I never noticed that.

You know why? because he rarely flares.

But I figured out what it is - I think. When he's swimming around relaxed, his tail falls downward from the weight. His dorsal fin also falls to one side or another like a "comb-over" on a bald head.

The next pic shows what I mean. His dorsal fin is over to one side. His tail is like a pile of silk at the bottom - the light goes through the top and you can see the clear edge. But it's too thick in layers at the bottom for the light to shine through.

20061211-210403-640.jpg

I think the weight of his tail bears on his tail fin and wears a notch in it. On this pic you can see the tail kind of fits in the notch in the back of his anal fin.

20061211-210410-640.jpg

That's the only explanation I can come up with. Especially considering the rest of his fins are in great shape - even the clear butterfly rays in the edges. Anyone else have a Betta with this kind of issue before?

Here's one last pic. Apparently the photo shoot tonight was just too exhausting for him.

20061211-210622-640.jpg

How cute are those pics!! Your lil' guy is beautiful. The 'happy dance' they do as you approach the tank cracks me up too. Mine get so excited when I go to feed them they jump clear out of the water and totally miss the piece of food. :rolleyes: I love those bettas....such intriguing creatures.

I try and exercise my betta as well :) I put him in a 5gal. bucket during water changes. I create a slow whirlpool action and I run my finger against the current. He fights the current trying to investigate my finger (he knows fingers mean food)... it creates a treadmill effect for him. He doesn't seem to mind the work out a bit... infact I think he gets a little excited because he knows he'll be getting yummy bloodworms or his favorite... brine shrimp after his work out.

I am curious, where did you find that vase? How much water does it hold?

I bought the vase at Pier 1 .

It holds more than 5 US Gallons, but I only fill it to a little more than 4.

My mom loves pier one but the one where I live mostly has furniture and pillows. The one where I use to live had art and all kinds of cool things. Now I don't like it because looking at furniture is boring.

I once was considering buying one of those clean plastic trash cans! lol. It looked a lot like your vase but it was smaller and a bit ugly. I wish I had room for a vase like yours. I can even think where I would put it.

Actually I saw some vase/containers at World Market that looked really nice (after I bought this one). About 3 gallons I think - and better made than the one I have.

Archived