Our 130 And My Problem

Anic

Some of you frequent Ebay-ers might already know that there is a 130gal tank for sale... it's ours (before anyone runs and looks, it's pick-up only). Anyway, in the description it says the tank and the fish in it. That includes 4 plecos, 2 Japanese slgae eaters, 2 Chiclids and some goldies. My dad wants to keep one of the goldfish for a special reason and wants me to keep it in my 29 with Rowan. The fish in the tank are 1 comet and 5 or 6 commons. The fish he wants to keep is Lucky, a very small common (all of these fish are stunted and won't get any bigger) and Rowan is an Oranda.

I don't know why he wants to keep it in my 29 because no one will see him unless they go into my room. I know not to put single-tailed fish with double-tailed fish, but there is no other place to put him. I don't have space or time for another tank (right now I take care of the 29, Xanthe's 2gal, my sister's tank and my rats. I have my hands full)

Besides, the one goldie in there I wanted to keep was Glenn, the comet, but she's huge compared to the others.

What should I do about this situation? If we set up another, smaller tank anywhere, I still wouldn't be able to take care of it properly and it would end up becoming overcrowded because someone would buy an ton of the little feeders and dump them in. And that would be HUGE mess.

So you will have one oranda (Rowan) and one small common (lucky) in a 29 gallon tank, correct? That is doable. The common will grow, even if he is "stunted", but he will grow more slowly. Rowan, too, will continue to grow. Orandas are gentle giants of the fancy goldfish world. Rowan will not be a slouch in the growing department, either. I have orandas that can rival many commons in size, easily!

As far as the swimming/competition thing..... yes, you will have to watch things a bit. Orandas are usually good swimmers and active fish. Rowan may not be able to keep up with Lucky in a race, but in a tank with a limited straight shot swimming area, he will do quite a good job, actually.

Watch your water parameters more carefully - particularly when you first add Lucky to the tank. Your cycle will grow to accomodate his waste. Keep your eye on feeding - perhaps putting food in two corners of the tank, or hanging two leaves at either end.... I bet the Rowan will hold his own just fine, with a little care from you.

Give it a try. You may be pleasantly suprised. :)

I have a common and an oranda together and they are the best of buddies. They sleep together, eat together, play in the bubbles together.....take daryl's advice....give it a try!

I guess you could try a different medium like Craigslist.com so that way people can contact you and you can "interview" them for goldfish-knowledge.

Why are you getting rid of your 130 anyway? Have you thought about purchasing a smaller tank to keep the comets you do like?

They don't really care about what happens to the goldfish and I don't have much of a say in it anyway. They want to get rid of it because my mom bought a woodburning stove that we'll put in our livingroom and we don't have enough space for both.

If I had my own place, I'd take the tank and the fish. But I don't, so I can't....

Rowan will not be a slouch in the growing department, either. I have orandas that can rival many commons in size, easily!

:blink:
Watch your water parameters more carefully - particularly when you first add Lucky to the tank. Your cycle will grow to accomodate his waste. Keep your eye on feeding - perhaps putting food in two corners of the tank, or hanging two leaves at either end.... I bet the Rowan will hold his own just fine, with a little care from you.

Why leaves?

When would be a good time to put Lucky in? When we drain the tank or should I go swimming this weekend trying to catch him?

Leaves - well, I hang spinach leaves, lettuces, broccoli, etc. - fresh veggie leaves just under the surface in my tanks. I usually try to put them in multiple corners in a tank, so a more aggressive feeder does not keep the smaller/less aggressive feeders from enjoying the bounty.

You can either put on your snorkel and fins and go diving (Make sure to take pictures!!!! :rofl;) ) or wait until you drain the tank.

Since commons can be a biddy to catch, particularly in a larger water volume, I suggest you do it when Lucky does not know that "something is up". That may mean diving pre-drain. Try to capture him with the least amount of stress and chasing and fear on his part.

You may wish to "redecorate" your 29 gallon tank for a bit, too. That way both of the fish are in "new digs" for a bit - reducing dominant behavior.

:)

We drained the tank last night and got it ready for the guy to pick up this morning. I asked my dad about Lucky, how no one would see him, and he said not to worry about it. And the guy is going to take all the fish with him when he gets the tank.

Well, I went outside where we put the fish (they're in a cooler) to put two air hoses in. I didn't do it last night, because if I did the raccoons would have been able to get in there and go fishing.

One of the Cichlids died. I took him out and buried him and I got one of the goldies out (the common/comet I wanted). I put enough salt in the 29 for a 10gal and some Melafix for both of them. I have the other half of the salt dosage waiting and I'll add it in in a little bit. I've already put the other fish in the 29 and I think Rowan is scared of it. She doesn't want to get too close. The other fish is up and hovering now. When I first put it in about 8 min ago, it was just sitting on the bottom. So we have movement now! Tomorrow when we go to town I'm going to buy some stress coat and maybe some bloodworms as a treat for them if the store has any in the fridge.

Archived