Rams

Sushi67

cardinal tetras, penguin tetras or pencilfish will do well with a pair of rams. 20 gallons would be sufficient for the rams and a school of up to 10 of the other fish

I love serpae tetras but I already know that they can be nippy. What about harlequins? Could a dwarf or Honey gourami work too? I've seen a dwarf gourami in with a ram but I don't know if it is ok or not.

Hows this:

2 rams

1 dwarf gourami/blue gourami

5 cardinal tetras

Gouramis are A-okay with rams. You should be able to get away with this in a 20 gallon. Harlequins are a good choice... serpae tetras- as you know- are pretty nippy (have you ever looked closely at their fins? They're always bitten and mangled! I'd stay away from them.)

*edit* By the way- what type of rams are you going for? Bolivian, Blue, or Golden? I love rams :)

harlequins are good too. I'm not quite sure about the blue gourami though. the rams might get a little territorial when they spawn and take it out on the gourami especially it being a single large fish in the setup you're contemplating.

why not a corydoras instead? it'll also perform cleanup duty as well.

I was looking at my fish encyclopedia and it said to buy gourami's in pairs. It also said that rams are a little hard to breed in an aquraium and that you can raise the temperature to try to induce breeding. So as long as I keep the tank at 78-80 they should be fine, right?

I'm not sure about the cardinal tetras. I read that neons and cardinals carry a lot of illnesses. I don't want to take a chance.

Would this be better:

3 Harlequins

2 dwarf gourami/blue gourami

2 panda cory's

2 Rams

Edit:

Depending on what my LFS has I may get rid of the harlequins or gouramis.

BTW- I plan on getting german blue rams.

Neons and cardinals do have a high mortality rate and can carry illness. If you want to go with them I suggest getting the biggest and most robust ones you can find... and make sure to quarantine for a long time with these guys.

It might be best to have gouramis in pairs or more but it is not critical. One gourami can definitely be okay by itself. (I would go with the dwarf personally)

Harlequins are a good choice- The more the better with these guys

Panda cory's should be fine but they are so teeny I would worry the rams might give these guys some grief. Maybe a larger cory? It would work, but may not be optimal.

Blue rams are gorgeous, good luck with them, :)

Neons and cardinals do have a high mortality rate and can carry illness. If you want to go with them I suggest getting the biggest and most robust ones you can find... and make sure to quarantine for a long time with these guys.

It might be best to have gouramis in pairs or more but it is not critical. One gourami can definitely be okay by itself. (I would go with the dwarf personally)

Harlequins are a good choice- The more the better with these guys

Panda cory's should be fine but they are so teeny I would worry the rams might give these guys some grief. Maybe a larger cory? It would work, but may not be optimal.

Blue rams are gorgeous, good luck with them, :)

Thanks for the info. Hmmm, your right. Pandas are tiny! Bronze cory cats or any larger type I can find?

Hows this for now?

1 Dwarf gourami

5 harlequin tetras

2 rams

2 bronze cory cats

you should never buy gouramis in pairs because the male will continuously harass and dominate the female (it's the same with bettas). It's always best to buy them in a group of two males to several females in a largish tank.

rams will also breed even if their water isn't exactly tropical in temp. (I've had a pair spawn when their tank got cold... a sudden drop in temperature is often a cue for many tropical fish to spawn as it approximates the coming of the rainy season in their region).

Thanks for the info. Hmmm, your right. Pandas are tiny! Bronze cory cats or any larger type I can find?

Hows this for now?

1 Dwarf gourami

5 harlequin tetras

2 rams

2 bronze cory cats

Actually cories need to be in larger groups.

Personally I'd go with

2 rams

7 harlequin rasboras (these are not tetras)

I wouldn't put any cories in, since it's a small tank and the rams might beat them up if they get in their territory while they're spawning.

lol, it was late last night when I was writing this. Duh! They aren't tetras! -smacks self-

Ok.

1 dwarf gourami

2 rams

7 harlequins

I will buy the fish in januray. Right now I am going to get the plants and let the tank mature.

I use to have a Bolivian ram when i was 5-6 years old. It was in my mothers 40 gallon show angle tank but she got rid of the tank when I was 6-7 years old. My brother in law has a lot of tropical fish and my mom knows a lot about angle fish so I will be looking to them for a lot of help.

Archived