Red Spot On Chest

karla80

Hello,

Ammonia and nitrite 0

nitrate 40

ph 7.2

2 fancies in 20 gallon tank, water changes every thursday, 50-70%.

fluval 205 canister filter

Butterball rests a lot more than Casper, but she is very active when she wants food and has a very good apetite. A couple of days ago I noticed a red spot on her chest. It looks more like dry skin that is irritated but I do not see how that is possible since she's never belly up and her belly is never exposed outside the water. I do not know if it is a sore or ulcer. Like i already stated she does rest a lot more than Casper but she can get very active when she wants to eat. Like she still comes up to me and makes noises against the glass with her lips and swims around excitedly when she expects food.

Here are pictures of this red spot. The orange spot on her right is normal, i call it her birthmark.

th_12_10_12.jpg

th_12_10_11.jpg

th_12_10_15.jpg

karla

Karla sorry to hear your fish isn't feeling well.

The first thing I would like to see is the nitrates between 10-20. 40 is a bit high for fish. Yes usually they do well, but I have found that 40 is too much for all my fish and usually problems start whenever that nitrate reading goes above 20.

So I would recommend lower them first. With the tank running at max capacity you may have to do 2 water changes a week instead of one.

Thanks for posting the pics, it looks pretty raw to me. Does it in person?

I think if you have any medigold food or metromed food on hand I would start a 2 week round of that.

Depending on if the sore looked worse or better in a couple days then I would try Melafix to soothe it.

Good luck getting it under control, I hope she feels better.

Thanks LaurieP. Their nitrates have always been at the max, 40. Could this have caught up to her now and that is why she's having this problem? Right now I'm getting ready to start the fishless cycle on their new 55 gallon tank.

I do have metromed but I do not know if you remember me posting how difficult it is to feed her metromed. She doesn't like to look for food and feeding by hand is difficult b/c she's not use to my hand. Usually Casper will get to it before Butterball, plus it takes over an hour to feed them the right amount. Sorry I know I'm complicating things but it really is difficult to feed her metromed. Although I hate medicating, could I just start treating w/melafix?

The area looks like a sunburn with really dry skin :( . I will try to bring the nitrates down to a better range.

Thanks so much for replying quickly and I will let you know how things are going with her. :)

Just curious, do filters really affect nitrate levels? Is it like the higher the amount of ammonia the filter needs to filter out the higher the nitrate levels will be as the end result?

karla

Karla, are you switching them to a bigger tank? If so why the fishless cycle? You should be able to take some water, gravel and filter media to the new one, causing it to cycle asap. Let me know on this, I can help you thru it.

Yes in answer to your last question. The more ammonia in the tank the higher the nitrates will be. Look at it like this, nitrates are what the ammonia is in non toxic form. (of course there is alot more to it, but that is it simplified).

Some things that can run a high nitrate tank are as follows:

High stocking with the fish per water.

Over stocking.

Over feeding.

Lack of water changes and or the amount needed to be changed.

Since she is a bugger to feed the med food, it should be ok to use the Melafix right off the bat. I just worry about it turning into a infection, it looks pretty bad from the photo. (hopefully it is just the pic).

What types of food (normally) do you feed?

Have you tried switching her to Progold? This food is what goldfish connection adds the meds too. So if she is use to eating that, whenever she needs the med food she is use to it already and no problems.

Hi LaurieP, I'm just worried about having them go thru another cycle. When I got them, their tank had not been thru the cycling process b/c I did not know, therefore they went thru high toxic levels but thank God they survived it, I felt so bad. Anyway I do not want them to go thru the whole process again. For their new tank i have 2 marineland penguin bio wheel power filters. One filters 200gph and the other filters 350gph, therefore there will already be 550 gph, plus with their current filter, it will add up to 730gph once they go in since i need their fluval for their 20 gal. If it is possible to add them to their new home right away without stressing them out I would love to do that. I do have Amquel plus and cycle.

Also, I only have a thin layer of gravel in their 20 gal, so i do not know how much it will help w/the cycling process. But if it can be done, I would like to see them in their new tank asap. :)

I feed the Omega one goldfish flakes, Omega one veggie flakes, Nutrafin basix Floating Goldfish pellets, Wardley Total SpectraMax flakes, Frozen Brine Shrimp w/Vitamin C, and Frozen bloodworms. Their primary food is the Omega One veggie flakes.

I think my problem is I overfeed them. It's hard to feed Butterball b/c she would rather have the food delivered directly to her than go looking for it :rolleyes: . Whereas Casper will look. Anyway I will try to bring the nitrates down and stop overfeeding and see if this helps. It really looks like a sunburn, but she's very active at the moment and definitely hungry. I will also get Melafix, but just one last question. Should I wait to see if lowering the nitrates help or should I just go ahead and add the Melafix after the water change?

karla

:unsure: Just my opinion,but normally if I see those red bruising areas,and the fish hasn't been floating at the top of the water,nine times out of ten it's allready a bacterial infection in progress.If that's the case,then something such as Melafix won't be strong enough to help.

As mentioned the params need to be kept Pristene,and a medicated food should be started immediately.

As hard is it is,I would find a way to feed her twice a day for tat least 14 days or so. You can try an antibacterial med for the water,which may be of some help,but normally the food is the best route to take.

As I said,this is JMO.I recently lost a fish that was eggbound,and she went into a bacterial infection that looked exactly like this.If this is the same sort of case,then action must be taken quickly.

Hi Devs, how about Jungle Labs fungus clear? I've used this when my old goldie had sores on his fin and it healed him up after one treatment. As for metromed, I've tried and tried and although there were times that I've been successful at feeding her, it really is very difficult. I got them when they were about 3 years old so for whatever reason it is hard trying to get her to eat the pellets. Almost impossible. Believe me, I prefer feeding anti-bacterial meds as oppose to putting meds in their water b/c I fear problems with their beneficial bacteria.

The best I can do is put anti-bacterial meds in their water while attempting yet again to feed Butterball metromed.

She is still pretty active and eating well. Definitely very demanding :D . I really do not want to lose her, Casper is happy w/her and I've grown very attached to her. :(

karla

Unfortunatly Fungus clear won't get a bacterial infection.

I still think your best bet is to feed the med food. As Devs said, females (if it is one) are so prone to infections.

In cycling the new tank, first what are the params of the current tank now?

Are you going to use different color gravel or no gravel?

Hi, just a quick question. What is the shelf life for metromed? I've had this container since February '06. It has been opened when i was treating for pop eye. It still smells fresh but could i still use it?

I must stress that although I will try again to feed her, there is still the likely chance that I will be unsuccessful.

LaurieP, I have not tested the water yet. I will post back tomorrow and also let you know how things work out w/Butterball.

Thanks LaurieP and Devs, I really hope she will be more cooperative since she is at least eating. It's hard trying to force her, she's just sooo cute :heart:) .

karla

Usually within 6 mos, at least that is "preferance" but I would use it. Personally I would use any med within a year of the date being filled, then it is questionable. So sure go for it.

I hope she gets better too.

What I am thinking with the new tank is using the current tank water, as long as it isn't toxic. And filling the rest in with fresh.

You can also use the gravel or if you are changing colors, put some gravel in a nylon stocking and hanging it in the back of the tank.

Filter media that holds good bacteria can be cut up to fit into the new filter if the new filter has a spare media basket.

Anything you can transfer over with good media in it is a head start.

This morning I went to check up on Butterball and I do not know if her red rash - like spot has faded or spread further down her belly. It does look like it has faded but I do not want to be to optimistic just yet. Sorry I cannot show pics, the batteries died but i am hoping to get pics tomorrow. On the plus side, I got her eating metromed. It's not easy b/c Casper gets to the pellets quicker. He has some red spot at the edge of his fin so giving him metromed is not such a bad idea.

Butterball is still active, always hungry and very demanding :D . I did do a water change so right now the results are...

ph 7.2

ammonia and nitrite 0

nitrate 10 finally :)

My only concern w/using metromed is overdosing or not giving enough. So far Casper has eaten 22 pellets and Butterball 13-14, this after 2 feedings, so i do not know. It takes Butterball close to 7 minutes to munch on one pellet.

karla

Actually to get more med food in is the best. It can mean more waste, so check the params and adjust water changes accordingly. But the more med she gets the better.

Hi :) , just a quick update, Butterball is still very active, silly and eating well. If I had to guess, the red spot appears to be fading. I think it could have been more of an injury because it appeared to be fading even before i started giving her metromed, but I do not know. From what I've read on several posts regarding injured fish, it is usually recommended to give the fish anti-bacterial meds to prevent bacteria from attacking the injured goldie, right? I also finally figured out a way to give her metromed. There is a spot on the right hand corner of the tank where both goldies sleep. Every feeding time they will look either at the surface of the water or in that spot, so it's been easier for all of us. :D

Thanks again for all the help, so far Butterball appears to be on the road to recovery, fingers crossed :) .

Karla

Karla if you are afraid of infection the med food will help. But I only use it when I think the fish can't get well without it. I try and not use any meds until necessary, but if you do make sure you feed that and nothing else for 10-14 days.

hi LaurieP, I started using metromed when i wasn't sure if she was getting better, but since it may have appeared to be a bruise or some sort of injury I did not want to stop the treatment, so i figure if it was not due to an illness at least metromed may prevent one from coming along. The truth is I am not so sure why she had this red area in the first place. It appeared to be either a infection or a rash-like problem. But so far it seems to have gotten better so perhaps the metromed has helped her. Sometimes i guess fish get things on them one day and then it's gone and we wonder "What was that all about?" :hmm

Thanks again LaurieP for helping Butterball and I through this :) .

karla

:) Karla,I'm very glad to hear tha tButterball is doing better. Regardless of what caused it,it was a good idea to use the medicated food just in case.Red spots normally are bacterial,and best to nip it in the bud immediately.Continue success. :D

Karla, we often don't know why things happen and just have to treat symptomatically. It is not the ideal thing, but often what has to be done. I am glad she seems a bit better. You made the right decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just an update. Yesterday was the last day of medicating Butterball for her red spot on her belly/chest area and I just wanted to thanks both LaurieP and Devs from Butterball, Casper and myself for their help and advice. Although I do not have a picture, Butterball's redness appeared to have faded or disappear. After the treatment with metromed, I fasted the goldies for 24hrs and then fed them peas.

Thanks again! :)

karla

:D What wonderful news to hear on Christmas! I'm really happy that Butterball's shown so much improvement.How long did you actually feed the medicated food,2 weeks? Just wondering for I really worry about the red spots when they're near/on the belly.Often times,they can be severe bacterial infections that are really hard to get rid of. I recently lost an Oranda who was having eggbound problems. Eventually,She got that red patch on her belly and I began to treat immediately for bacterial.For a while,she seemed to be doing so much better,but then once I started feeling comfortable--WHAM!!! It was back,and it affected her organs this time. :cry1

I'm really not trying to scare you here,as alot of fish do fine after treatment.I guess it's more of a "Keep a good eye on Butterball",until you're absolutely sure. Ya did good!!!! Continued success. :exactly

Hi Devs, yes I did the full 14 day treatment. Although I was hesitant to start due to Butterball having a hard time getting her share in the past, right after you posted your experience with your oranda I got worried and automatically started to get her to eat the pellets. That was on the 10th of December, and I knew that Christmas eve was the final day. Could I start the meds over again for another 14 days? Her poop is white and thin, but most often than not it is white. I only fed them one meal of peas. See, I consider 24 hours fasting starts after last feeding and their last was about 3:30pm yesterday so I fed them peas at about 3:30pm today. I'll check on her tomorrow to see how she's doing.

Thanks

karla

Sorry, I may have started it on the 11th of December. If you start medcating on the 11th, that's day one and 24th is day 14, right?

Its been a long day as it is for most people on Christmas, my math skills tonight do not seem to be helping me much. :)

karla

Hi, sorry just several quick questions, Butterball appears fine, I gave both Casper and Butterball their regular flake food this morning but if I feel I need to use metromed again will it still help her? I'm just worried that whatever she had or still has may become resistant. Should I order medigold just in case?

Is it ok to monitor Butterball for a few days to be sure she's ok or should I have repeated the meds?

I will try to post pcs of her belly later.

thanks again :)

karla

Hi LaurieP, sorry you weren't feeling well. I hope you were still able to enjoy a bit of the holiday with friends and family :) . As for Butterball, I decided to do a second treatment with metromed b/c although the red spot appeared to have faded, she still did not seem herself. Resting a lot, not as active as before. Anyway, she has improved a lot since I started treating her for the second time. Her belly appears white again and she seems more like herself. :) I guess she's feeling better b/c for a while Casper would sleep right beside her at bedtime and now he's gone back to his usual resting spot so I guess he feels he doesn't need to comfort her. :D The last day of treatment is January 8, so hopefully she will be 100% recovered.

Thanks for all the help and support, I hope you're feeling better and Happy New Year :D

karla

Good to hear the new round is making a difference.

Nope slept right thru Christmas and the 2 days following. It was a nasty bug, still hanging around pretty good.

Hope your New Year is great.

Archived