Sick Koi

Guest Temari

One of our koi, Dijon, seems to be pretty sick and I can't figure out what's wrong. I think it's a fungus, but I can't see if he injured himself, not to mention his scales are being pushed up away from his body. Here's a pic: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/44465684/

Nitrites are 0.3ppm, nitrates are 180ppm, Ph is 6.2 but I have a feeling it's been thrown off because it's been raining all day; he's in a 380 gal pond that's been up for 3 years and uses a Tetrapond 500 gal gravity filter, no skimmer; we do 20% water changes twice a month; there are 5 8" commons in the pond, as well as a 6" red cap and a 1 ft. koi, while Dijon is about 11".

We use Pondcare Chlorine, Heavy Metal Neutralizer & Dechlorinator; the water's been treated with Tetrapond Pond Fish Treatment (sort of a cure-all); they're fed Nishikoi pellets, although it's been too cold lately to feed them.

The only unusual behavior I've seen Dijon display is hovering in one sheltered corner of the pond, but they tend to not like the feeling of the rain hit the surface of their pond.

I really don't know what to do, this patch just showed up about 3 days ago and has continued to get bigger.... please help!!

Hi Temari - that looks nasty... and is similar to what a comet I have in my care at the moment is suffering from. I brought this fish home from a pond at the office and have him in a cure all ie. malachite green, aminacrine and mafenide hcl plus i'm feeding him a homemade medicated food of metronidazole and tetracyline. Before I put him into the qt, i dabbed the area with hydrogen peroxide to try and destroy any surface bacteria.

I believe the reason he succumbed to this has a lot to do with the nitrates at work which are around the 140ppm mark and this is way too high for fish. There's much research coming out about the adverse affects of nitrates in high levels and unfortunately it can play havoc on the immunity. So I would do some massive changes in your pond to try and get the nitrates into a more healthy range. Do you have many plants in your pond? This can help combat the higher nitrates...

Are you able to separate him to a big tub? Can you get any medicated food? Medikoi I believe is excellent... also you may need a waterborne medication. Do you see any pus around the area?

So sorry to hear that this has happened to one of your fish too, Jen.

We don't have any plants becuase it's winter here, but I'm sure we'd be able to get him in his own tub and get him medicated food. I bet we'd be able to find waterbourne medication as well.

I don't see any pus, but the patch has gotten a little bit bigger overnight....

UPDATE

Well, the koi is inside now in a big Rubbermaid tote, with a filter, a thermometer, and a heater. A guy who works at the local pond and feed store suggested we slowly heat his water to about 75 degrees to help his immune system, then treat him for 5 or 6 days with Debride, which he called "neosporin for fish".

I hope this works...

Archived