Quarantine Question

Guest ctrainor

Guest ctrainor

Hi guys!

So I went to the fish store today and of course came home with a new cutie. As I was getting the fish I looked at the other side of the tanks and there was a large fish clearly dying from dropsy. I asked the sales guy if the water circulated between all the tanks and he told me yes, but it was such a large amount of water that he doubted the dropsy would be in any concentration to have affected my fish. There were about 50 tanks connected, huge amount of water. I brought him home and stuck him in my hospital tank but my question is, should I keep him in the hospital tank longer than 2 weeks to watch for signs of dropsy? Should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Christan

To your question about quarantine, absolutely - yes :) Dropsy itself isn't contagious as the organs are swelling but the underlying problem can be. If I ever pick up a fish that comes from a community of fish with questionable health, I will quarantine for 2 months to be on the safe side :)

As for being concerned, your guy may have a strong immunity but keeping an eye on him over the next few weeks will be telling and you'll be able to resolve anything that may come along. Hopefully he'll have a clean bill of health though :)

Archived