Bubbles

ciscokidd

i have read quite a lot of reasons why bettas create "bubble nests" for example, their ready to breed, their content in their enviroment, and their water needs to be changed. Why do bettas actually make bubble nests?

The real reason bettas make bubble nest is for breeding. Once they breed they spit the eggs into the bubbles. I believe gourami's do the same thing. Some interpret the bubbles as good water and environment because there is no way a betta is going to want to breed in bad conditions.

I'm also always reading how bettas are happy if they make bubble nests... but is that necessarily true? I have some males who make bubble nests and one who doesn't make bubble nests although he does blow bubbles here and there... I've had him several years and he's never blown a bubble nest. He seems very content though... not all males bettas blow bubble nests do they?? :blink:

I'm also always reading how bettas are happy if they make bubble nests... but is that necessarily true? I have some males who make bubble nests and one who doesn't make bubble nests although he does blow bubbles here and there... I've had him several years and he's never blown a bubble nest. He seems very content though... not all males bettas blow bubble nests do they?? :blink:

It may be because he has never has a reason to. If you don't keep him next to other males or females then he really doesn't have a reason to. Also if he is a couple years old then I doubt he will blow nice big bubble nest. I also have a few males that don't blow nests.

Archived