Bloodstreaks

Limeyron

Water parameters are perfect and stable

Once again, for about the fifth or sixth time, my little guys have a couple of bloodstreaks in their tailfins. I don't know what the deal is, but every single one of the 5 Comets I've kept has had this. It doesn't seem to make them upset or stressed, but I don't like it and I want it sorted for good. Prowler has a couple of feint bloodstreaks but Charger has a couple of deep red ones. Both of them have got the bloodstreaks on the bottom half of their tail and Charger has a couple on the top half too. Could this just be a genetic thing or am I doing something wrong?

They both lost some scales a little while ago and I posted a thread about it, but since then they haven't lost any more. I've only just noticed the blood in Charger's tail because he never stays still for more than half a second when I'm here. His tank is right next to my monitor. The monitor is to the left, so the tank is right in front of me and he's always very active and friendly and in my face.

I'm stressed enough as it is, without having to worry about losing another fish. I've tried so many treatments and I don't know what to do...

While I've been typing this, I've notice that all of Charger's fins look a little bit ragged and look like they may all have a bloodstreak or two. Maybe the ragged look is just the way that he's using them, but maybe something's seriously wrong? Has anyone come across these symptoms before? Charger has always seemed hyperactive and maybe this is another symptom...

I really don't need this at the moment, especially at Christmas. It's got me thinking that maybe I'm not doing enough for them. I know that they need more space, but they're not that big yet and I've made sure that both tanks have extremely good filtration and aeration, but maybe they still need more room...

Guest im-trying

Once again, for about the fifth or sixth time, my little guys have a couple of bloodstreaks in their tailfins. I don't know what the deal is, but every single one of the 5 Comets I've kept has had this. It doesn't seem to make them upset or stressed, but I don't like it and I want it sorted for good. Prowler has a couple of feint bloodstreaks but Charger has a couple of deep red ones. Both of them have got the bloodstreaks on the bottom half of their tail and Charger has a couple on the top half too. Could this just be a genetic thing or am I doing something wrong?

They both lost some scales a little while ago and I posted a thread about it, but since then they haven't lost any more. I've only just noticed the blood in Charger's tail because he never stays still for more than half a second when I'm here. His tank is right next to my monitor. The monitor is to the left, so the tank is right in front of me and he's always very active and friendly and in my face.

I'm stressed enough as it is, without having to worry about losing another fish. I've tried so many treatments and I don't know what to do...

While I've been typing this, I've notice that all of Charger's fins look a little bit ragged and look like they may all have a bloodstreak or two. Maybe the ragged look is just the way that he's using them, but maybe something's seriously wrong? Has anyone come across these symptoms before? Charger has always seemed hyperactive and maybe this is another symptom...

I really don't need this at the moment, especially at Christmas. It's got me thinking that maybe I'm not doing enough for them. I know that they need more space, but they're not that big yet and I've made sure that both tanks have extremely good filtration and aeration, but maybe they still need more room...

my oranda has had a few blood streaks in its tail they have been there since i got it and its grown to 3 times its size. Though i think that your tank may have a parasite of somekind im no expert on these things but if all the fish are effected then it makes sense. Ive been considering getting a UV steriliser ive found some fairly cheep ones on ebay.co.uk guessing your english ;) . I read on here that they can destroy 98% of bacteria and parasites including ich! So it might be worth paying for it to rid the tank of the parasite. Im definatly getting one next pay check even doing an extra 4 hour shift so i can afford it lol it will definatly put my mind at ease when im at college through the day. I'm still investigating it but as far as i can tell there are no bad sides to it.

hope ive helped :)

nice car btw i nearly got a red one like that

As everything is perfect regarding water quality all i can think of is bacteria building up or its because they have white tails taht you notice more when the bloodvellels break.

It is quite common to see red veins on white tails.

How often and how much are you doing water changes a week. Sadly we dont have tests to see what the bacteria levels are.

It's a good theory Sandy, but they're weren't there before. You may be onto something though... Maybe it's the same thing as with humans. We have veins deep down inside and close to the surface, but the fins are so thin..

EDIT: I mis-read the first part about the blood vessels. It's so obvious...blood vessels break all the time, especially when the blood is pumping faster and my little Chrager is, well, my little Charger. Nuff said

The only thing I can think of is giving them another treatment. It's been a few weeks since I gave them their last one so it might be worth a shot.

Now that the tanks are fully cycled and everything has settled down, I do a 40% water change every weekend. I use a 0.02% salt solution and either King British Safe Guard or AmQuel+, depending on what I have. When I tested the tanks today, Charger's tank had slightly higher readings than normal but still well within the recommended ranges.

NitrAte: Usually 10 mg/l. Today was 15 mg/l (what's this in PPM? Is there a conversion formula?)

NitrIte: Usually 0.25 mg/l. Today was 0.5 mg/l

kH, gH, pH are still stable and the ammonia test shows a perfect 0, thank god! I haven't seen a reading in weeks and weeks!

About the bacteria levels..I think there is a test but the equipment is very expensive. When I was in my maintenance job, I had to test the cooling towers in the office buildings on a weekly basis. This consisted of a dipslide and an incubator. Dip the slide into the water and swirl it around for a few seconds, shake off the excess, slip it into the tube so it's air tight and pop it into the incubator, which is set to a certain temperature. After a couple of days, if there's any Legionella in the system it shows up as little spots, like acne. You get a chart so you can compare the volume of spots and see what the levels are.

Maybe this sort of thing can be purchased for fish tanks? After all, Legionella is just bacteria. It can't be hard to modify the dipslide to read different bacteria...

my oranda has had a few blood streaks in its tail they have been there since i got it and its grown to 3 times its size. Though i think that your tank may have a parasite of somekind im no expert on these things but if all the fish are effected then it makes sense. Ive been considering getting a UV steriliser ive found some fairly cheep ones on ebay.co.uk guessing your english ;) . I read on here that they can destroy 98% of bacteria and parasites including ich! So it might be worth paying for it to rid the tank of the parasite. Im definatly getting one next pay check even doing an extra 4 hour shift so i can afford it lol it will definatly put my mind at ease when im at college through the day. I'm still investigating it but as far as i can tell there are no bad sides to it.

hope ive helped :)

nice car btw i nearly got a red one like that

I completely missed your post! Sorry.. That's definitely something to think about adding to my arsenal.... Nice one ;)

Yep, I'm English. What gave it away? lol

Thanks. I take it you're fan of Mk1 Golf's? I loved that car to bits, literally lol

If someone can make a test for gram negative and positive bacteria then they would be very rich and make it as simple to use as a test kit for ammonia say.

As you are showing nitrite even such a tiny bit it shows you ahd a blip in your cycle which may be enough to trigger the red streaked fins.

This may be due to the meds upsetting the cycle, so i wouldnt add any more.

Maybe up your water changes to twice a week at 30% each time for a while and see if that helps.

Thanks Sandy. I really hope this isn't the start of something serious. When my oldest got sick, he started out like this and then ended up floating on his side on the surface, unable/unwilling to open his mouth and I had to euthanise him. It was the hardest decision I ever had to make and I don't want to have to do that again.

But saying that, when the other 2 got sick and died, they started out the same so is the whole bloodstreak thing the first symptom of stress? Quite a few times I've seen this on other people's fish and they've all had different illnesses. Could it be a visual representation of stress? I think I'll look that up because it sounds logical to me..

Archived