Drift Wood

Jon

Sorry if this is the wrong place...

any ways, i saw this really nice piece of drift wood on ebay, but it doesnt come with sme slate to anchor it down because of the may ways you could put it. Well, since last year we got travertine flooring in our kitchen and we have alot extra, i was wondering if the travertine would be safe. Also how would i attach the anchor to the wood?

I would definately not use anything other than Driftwood that is sold especially for aquariums myself.If you buy the right kind,after a good soak or boil to leech it out,it should sink.Using anything else is definately a big risk.

well its sold for aquariums. But i dont know how i would boil it as its 11'' by 6-1/2'' by 11-1/2 '' unless it would fit in our large soup pot

:D That's what most of mine have gone into. I've also had pieces where I've placed them in buckets of water ,and just did frequent water changes until the water stayed clear.

People have also baked Driftwood on low temps of 250 or 200 hundred degrees in their oven,but you have to be very careful when doing that.

Travertine is a relatively high-density spring or cave deposit.

Mostly calcite, so it will raise alkalinity and KH. Most time because of that ,it is normally used in Marine tanks. Just from what I know anyway,as I'm certainly no expert on it.

well i havent mentioned that the seller bakes the wood, wire brushes it cleans it really well...

with the way i want it to stand, it would need some kind of anchor other wise it would probally fall over, so i'll just go to home depot and pick up a piece of slate.

btw... im still wondering how i would attach the slate :)

You most likely won't need to anchor it down because once it's soaked for a while, it takes on water and becomes heavy. It's only when you first get it and it's dry that it floates D

I know it will sink after a while, im just saying im gonna need a anchor to stablize it to keep it from falling over :exactly

Doh! I get it :D

I grabbed some aquarium silicone and a piece of glass to anchor this really cool log I had once - worked a treat. I was barebottom on one of my tanks so from a distance, it looked like the log was standing on its own :D

Doh! I get it

I grabbed some aquarium silicone and a piece of glass to anchor this really cool log I had once - worked a treat. I was barebottom on one of my tanks so from a distance, it looked like the log was standing on its own

Thank You!!!

:) I have a wonderful piece of driftwood that I soaked forever and it still floated to the top of the tank, so I took a terra cotta pot, put some little stones and a plant in it and set it on the wood. That keeps it down.

When I clean the tank I always take the pot off the driftwood and what happens?.......The wood still floats to the top! :krazy:

Archived