Sign in to follow this  
Limeyron

Minnows

Sandy just suggested that when I get a fancy for my 10 gallon (I don't know which breed yet), I could get a shoal of Minnows to keep the little fella company. Since I have absolutely no knowledge of Minnows, I asking if you can supply the basic info that you need when keeping a fish (preferred water conditions, hiding places, substrate, current etc.)

All info will be greatly appreciated and if anyone's got some Minnows of their own, could I see a pic or two?

Thanks in advance ;)

do you mean white cloud mountain minnows?? i have a few, here are some pics of them

post-8553-1165690205_thumb.jpg

fat females

post-8553-1165690179_thumb.jpg

they are lovely little fish, very pretty, very hardy and are happiest in groups. They can live in coldwater fine, although when i eventually added a heater to their tank their colours brightened up significantly. They eat pretty much anything you give them, same as goldies. They are peaceful and i have not known them to aggravate other fish in larger tanks (in smaller than 10gals they may feel crowded and nip at other fish's fins, so it's worth watching for but not a major concern) They are fine with goldies until the goldie is big then it will probably try to eat them. i kept a few with a common for a while and one got it's tail bitten off and eventually died.

They're lovely little things, I'd love some one day.. apparently they can live happily and breed in little bowls.. so should be very happy in your 10 gal :D

I have kept minnows for the past 2 years and they are lovely fish. You could have 4 to 6 fish in your tank.

I originally had them with my fancies in a cool tank but the last year they were in with the tropicals at 30c so they take a huge temperature range. I would say they are happiest at around 20c.

They eat godfish food so theres no problem there.

I have some White Cloud Mountain Minnows in a 10 gallon tank with a small internal filter (Fluval 1 plus) a small airstone, some Java fern on bogwood and few river stones. They like lots of swimming space so leave the central area of the tank open, provide lot's of intersting places to swim around/hide behind. They like a good current and lots of water movement (as they're originally from streams) although they don't like being blown around everywhere, some resistance is good though. They grow from 1.5 - 2.5" - usually to around the 2" mark. The females are fatter than the males and the males have slightly brighter colours. As Sandy says, they're not fussing eaters, top to middle eaters, they do a little bit of scavenging from the bottom, but be careful not to overfeed as they don't clear up much. I feed tropical granules and freeze dried blood worms occasionally. They should eat goldie food though (not too big though) My tank has no heater so sits at room temperature (buffered by a the tank light) at about 18-20 degrees and they seem to do fine around there. They're not too fussy about Ph or water hardness, so nothing particular there, other than stable and non-flutuating condtions (like all fish really). Keep 4-6 as minimum as they're schooling fish. They are peaceful, yet interesting fish. Very relaxing and low maintenance :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't know what type of Minnows I want, but I'm sure someone will tell me what are best for me. Since they go well with goldies, I might get some to put in with Charger & Prowler when I upgrade. My little guys are very peaceful and I don't think they'll have a problem sharing their home with a few small Minnows. I want to make sure I get only males because I don't want any unplanned pregnancies on my hands, at least not until I can afford to raise and keep the fry.

Thanks for the pics Kat. They're lovely fish and they look very healthy from what I can see.

I'm getting excited now, but it's gonna be ages before I can get them so the waiting's gonna kill me.

I'm thinking now that I might use the plastic tank just for Minnows....So many ideas and no money!! :wall I'll probably end up changing my mind a hundred times between now and when I get them lol. Do Minnows go well with Bristlenose Plecs?

Does anyone know what the deal is with Guppies? The look great and I'd love to have a few some day...

I would only suggest white cloud mountain minnows as others get too big.

I wouldnt also put them in with single tailed goldfish or they will eat them, peaceful looking they may be but the goldfish are hunters.

It doesnt matter what sex the minnows are as they are egg scatterers and they will eat the eggs.

It shouldn't matter if the females get pregnant.they will most likly eat the young but very few will survive. I'm no expert but I know that for fact. If you want to have the fry in the tank so you can wacth them grow you should put a lot of hiding spaces for the female and fry.