Upgrading In The New Year

Limeyron

When I eventually upgrade in the new year to give my Comets a better home, I'll have 2 10 gallon tanks spare. I'm gonna keep the plastic one as a quarantine tank, but I wanna get a couple of small fancies to go in the glass tank.

I just don't know what fish would be best, so this is where you guys come in.

The temperature is usually between 23 & 27C, depending on the weather, and the water params are perfect because I've gone way over the top with the filtration. When I've re-arranged things, the glass tank will have filtration of something like 300GPH, which is pretty good for a 10 gallon tank :)

Will this extra filtration mean that instead of getting 2 fish that need 5 gallons each, I can get maybe 3? Remember that I've got 10UK gallons, so that's about 12 US I think.

I really have to get some new fish otherwise I'm gonna explode. I want some with really vivid colours that are easier to take care of than my Comets.

Also, will I need any extra equipment to make the fish more comfortable? Ideally, I don't want to have to plug anything else in because my room is like a mini power grid. There's cables and plugs everywhere, which really can't be good when there's 80 litres of water in the room...

There's no big rush to get the fish because I have to save up for the big tank first, but I want to collect all the info I need while I'm saving so that I can get my new fish ASAP. I'm getting obsessed. You know how it is....

All i will say is that 10 uk gallons is better for one growing fish than 5 gallons for 2 fish.

It doesnt matter about filtration, its room to grow thats important.

If you plan on upgrading within a year then yes you can get two but for long term you should only get one fancy.

To fill out the tank more and so the fish doesnt get lonely you could add a shoal of minnows.

With so much filtration is the water running fast all round the tank? Fancy goldfish wont like that so maybe take the filtration down a bit more.

Ahh..I see. It's about the room too. As for the filtration, the way I've aimed the outlets means that a lot of the tank has a low current, but what's low for a Comet isn't necessarily low for a fancy. I've got about half a dozen filters to play with so I can just try different setups and see what's best. I always keep a couple of filters spare just in case something goes wrong. I like to be prepared, and no two filters are the same size so I've got a good variety.

I'll take your advice and just get one fancy for the 10 gallon. What's the deal with minnows? Are they those the really small ones? If I can put a shoal in with a Betta or something, I think that would look really nice.

If minnows are really small, I'll have to be extra careful when I'm syphoning the water out...

Oh, two more things. How many minnows make a shoal, and how big do adults get?

Thanks Sandy. I had an idea you'd come to the rescue again :thumb:

JMO,but I think for a 12 gal. tank,that I'd just stick to getting 1 Fancy goldfish.Sure,you can get 2 small ones but you'll be surprised at how fast they'll grow in a real short time.The next thing you know,you're in need of upgrading again.If that's not a problem then you can get away with 2 small ones to start. :)

Filtration is very important,especially for Goldfish,but at some point it is possible to over do it.I think it depends on the Brand of the filter.The ones I own would definately be slamming my goldies arouind if I had those filters on a 12 gallon tank.It's good that you have extra filters to play with and decide which is best. :exactly

I was thinking about Guppies earlier Fuzzy, but that's just one of my many ideas. There's so much I want to do but I don't know what I wanna do first! It's so easy to become obsessed with fish, and I think I've already passed the point of no return... I've been reading up a little on the Cory's and I want those too! I guess I need to buy a few more tanks lol.

Devs, I'll definitely stick to the 1 fancy, unless I can find some even smaller fish that would do ok as a pair. I've been talking things over with Sandy and a couple of others about getting some Minnows as well. As you can see, I want everything lol. I definitely think I'm obsessed now..

I've got a Fluval 1+ & 3+, a couple of other cheap filters and the built in one in Prowler's tank. I've got every type of filter pad that I could find too. I just can't seem to stop buying stuff for my little guys...

I'm very careful when it comes to the currents in the tank because I know that a strong current can cause stress, and we all know what stress can do. Most of my filters have a directional nozzle or an attachment of some kind so that you can direct the current and create a safe zone for the fish to relax in. I've had to remove the Fluval 3+ from Charger's tank because it was too big to even fit! I had to put it in on a slant, but even with the strength of the output turned right down, I think it was a bit too much for Charger so the Fluval 1+ is back in there now with one of the other small filters.

Both my little guys seem happy at the moment so I guess the setups are ok, but I'm always wanting to change things around so they won't stay like this for long. Maybe I'll come up with a combination that'll make them even happier eventually...

Maybe I should get a job working with fish like Lucy suggested the other day. I bet I'd love it, but I'd also get to see the bad side of things. I've watched the workers at my local shop scooping up dead fish from the tanks and it can't be an easy task if you love them as much as I do. I tore me apart when I had to euthanise 2 of my own and bury them in the garden along with another who died while I was out buying him meds...

Guest im-trying

How about a few schools of small tropical fish like neons and danios. Or if you could buy a heater you can get one from most local pet shops for ten gallon tanks that cost about 6-12 quid then you could look at things like tetras black widdows etc

......but id allways go with a fancy ;) id love to keep a bubble eye in a nice protected tank net around the filter etc not sure of their adult size allways been worried they grow to the same size as a common.

An other one i could sugest would be a little golf ball pearlscale with some minnows i think they would fit nicley if you can get small pearlscale by the time it takes up major growth the minnows could be ending thier life cycle, ive read they live for a year to 18 months and so you will have a full grown fancy as they pass away freeing up more room and if you can get the 10 gallons down level with two commons in im sure you can handle a pearl scale ;) be warned though they get SBD a lot but a night of peas sorts it out in no time

Oh god...Even more ideas! I think I might just save up and by the local petshop :rofl

I'd really like some neons, they look so nice...especially when they're lit up at night with a blue light. I'd never get a bubble eye. I'd constantly be glued to the tank because I'd be worried about the poor git getting hurt on the filter. I've heard of so many cases where the sack has been burst on the filter inlet..

Archived