Pimafix And Melafix Treatment

Guest Triple3

Guest Triple3

Hi, I'm currently treating a fish stressed by PH crash.

It's constantly staying at the bottom of the tank, not moving unless irritated, doesn't eat, has red streaks all over it's tail and fins, it's top fins looks like it was cut by a sissors, part of it's tail seems to have be ripped, and has a white haze over it's right eye.

I got both Pimafix and Melafix together to treat my fish, it's currently in a hospital tank which is only a 5 gallon tank, I'm having difficulty with ammonia control in this small tank with no filter, so I'm thinking of moving it back to the main tank which is currently fishless. The main tank is a 19 US gallon tank filtered by a Eheim 2026.

I'm wondering if I use the meds on the main tank, and when done, do I need to use activated carbon to clear out the meds or can it be cleared by a regular water change?

Please advise. :)

To remove any med it is best to use Carbon along with a water change.

I am going to move your thread to the diagnosing area, that way we can help you further.

At the top you'll see a box a questions, please answer them so we can be more precise with suggestions.

Hi Triple3,sorry to hear that your fish isn't feeling so well.

I think that moving it back to it's original tank would probably be better all around for the fish and keeping params more stable.What are the actual params in the bigger tank?

When did the ph crash happen,and do you know what caused it?Also,how long have you been treating with the Pimafix/Melafix? :unsure:

Guest Triple3

Thanks LaurieP and Dev, hope the info here could give you an idea on what I should be doing next. :)

@Dev, I started off with Pimafix 1 am on wednesday there's a LFS here that opens 24x7x365 I went out at midnight to get the meds. :) Melafix treatment started on friday afternoon. I'm not sure about how the PH crashed, but I kep pointing my finger at the external filter, because I was following the wrong configuration setup.

Main tank params (Still fishless)

Ammonia Level - 0.25 ppm

Nitrite Level - < 0.9 mg/l

Nitrate level - 10 ppm

Ph Level - 7.6

Ph Level out of the Tap - 7.7

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

19 US gallons, have been runing for 2.5 years

Fish now responds t

What is the name and size of the filter/s?

Eheim 2026 Pro 2

How often do you change the water and how much?

Once a week about 10-20% or once a forthnight, again by 10-20%

How many fish in the tank and their size?

Previously 2 both orandas, a 1 inch and a 3 inch

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Previously using Ocean Free anti-chlorine, have dumped it and bought Prime

Any medications added to the tank?

Was using AquaPharm quick cure #3 to treat red streaks and fin rot

Add any new fish to the tank?

No

What do you feed your fish?

Flake food

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Bloody streaks, frayed fins, fin/tail rot

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

Fish kept staying at the bottom, not eating, and no moving about

Main tank was stable without any filter with regular water change, the Eheim 2026 was configured by the LFS owner (one man show shop) and was configured wrongly, the wool media was placed inside the upper basket instead of outside as stated in the filter's manual, worse still, there wasn't any manual included with the filter when I bought it, and everytime I clean the filter or change media and got it turned on, fishes will start to turn listless, kept staying at the bottom of the tank, PH will swing, once filter is turned off, fishes will start swimming again.

Hospital tank params

Ammonia Level - 0.50 ppm

Nitrite Level - <0.3 mg/l

Nitrate level - 10 ppm

Ph Level - 7.2

Ph Level out of the Tap - 7.7

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

5 US gallons, for a week

What is the name and size of the filter/s?

none

How often do you change the water and how much?

100% on even days and 70% on odd days (daily water changes)

How many fish in the tank and their size?

Only 1

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Seachem Prime

Any medications added to the tank?

Melafix and Pimafix combo

Add any new fish to the tank?

No

What do you feed your fish?

None, fish not eating, and will spit out when force fed, but I noticed that fish is pooping when doing water change.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Bloody streaks, frayed fins, fin/tail rot

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

Fish kept staying at the bottom, not eating, and no moving about

The weird thing about fish in the hospital is that it's pooping despite not eating, I tried force feeding it with medigold but fishie just spit it out. When doing water change earlier on, I noticed that there is a long poop, that is thin, it's brown, a little thick at the front, and still stuck in fish's anus, but toward to the anus, it got thinner and thinner. What do you think? I decided not to move fishie back, because the Mela and Pimafix combo seem to make the fish better in the small tank.

Ok the first thing I see is in the main tank. It has been running 2 years yet there is ammonia and nitrites, that is bad. It means something is wrong. Was there a major filter change, or did you over clean it too much? Not changing enough water????

While at 19 gals with 2 fish, that is slightly overstocked but if you kept up on water changes (probably 2-3 times a week) it would be ok. So that may have something to do with your params being off.

The red streaks and fraying fins can be due to the poor water, so keeping that in top notch condition would help that out.

I am not familar with that filter, but could it be the stream was too strong for them? Having a reliable filter is a must. It also has to filter 10 times the water per hour to filter gf water and waste.

Concerning the tap ph, have put some in a glass tested it and waited 24 hours and retested that same water? This might be something you need to do, to see how stable the ph is or if it fluctuates.

The hospital tank is not large enough to treat in. It will be very hard to keep this in good condition. What I would do is treat in the main tank, especially since the hosp tank's water is in bad condition as well.

To be honest I see the water (ammonia and nitrites) being your biggest problem. Of course along with the ph if it fluctuates on it's own.

I think if you clear up the ammonia and nitrites you would see a major improvement in the fish.

Guest Triple3

Thanks Laurie,

Tap water in Singapore contains 0.25 ppm of ammonia and 15 ppm of nitrates.

I moved the sick fish to the hospital and did a 100% change in the main tank and cleaned out the filter and changed both the coarse and fine media. So for now the cyce in it is at the starting stage. I've actually emptied 3/4 of Fritz-Zyme #7 into the tank. Just checked PH in the main tank again, it's stable at 7.6 for the past few days, I have coral chips in the filter to buffer the PH. Previously, the PH seldom hit 7.0 unless dosed with PH raising chemicals.

I guess I should move the fish back to the main tank, my unwillingness to do so stems from having problems with the filter everytime I clean it or change media, fish would start to change in behaviour everytime I do it. So having to replace filter media with activated carbon and then change it back really scares me.

Guest Triple3

Fish has been moved back to main tank.

Ammonia - 0.25 ppm

Nitrite - <0.3 mg/l

Nitrate - Can't tell if it's 10 or 20 ppm, looks like 10 but on second thought, it looks like 20 too on API's Nitrate test

PH was brought down from 7.6 to 7.2 to match hospital tank's PH before releasing fish.

Fish has bad reactions when Melafix was dosed.

In the hospital tank, I only have an air stone and a filter sponge, fish is constantly staying still and not moving. Back in the main tank, fish seem to have reaction to the water. It is constanly moving and resting, yawns (which is never done in the hospital) swimming up to the surface to grasp air and release bubbles when immersing to the bottom.

I turned off the filter and observed, fish seem to be moving as if there's something in the water that irritates it. Turned off both filter and aeration, fish seem better, less movement but moving only when it's drifting away from it's rest spot. Fish could be swimming against the current generation by the aeration and filter. I've adjusted the flow from the filter from max to mid.

Guest Triple3

Couldn't find the 'edit' option.

Ok, I've shut off my filter and fish doesn't seem react badly anymore. There's movement, but it's unlike when the filter is turned on, so I suspect that something must be wrong with the filter or the media.

The filter has ceramic rings on the lower basket and the upper basket contains eheim's substrat which occupies half the space and the other half is coral chips.

Ok with water that already contains ammonia and nitrates do you use a good water conditioner?

Do you have prime over there?

I am not familar with Singapore, so my advice may be limited because of that.

I would think that maybe the filter stream or power may be a bit to strong for him.

Is there a way to move the decorations around to block the brunt of the flow?

Guest Triple3

I'm using Seachem Prime as my water conditioner.

Main tank is currently empty, no decorations at all. The filter stream was previously running at full blast and has never affected him before the big crash. I'll try removing the substrat and replacing it with just coral chips (coral gravel) on the top basket and ceramic rings will remain in place at the lower basket and see what happens.

Guest Triple3

Got the filter up and running. Removed the old substrat, replaced it with coral chips, washed the wool media and put everything back. Fish doesn't show any bad reaction like yesterday. When cleaning the filter, I noticed some traces of activated carbon bits in it. I cleaned the tank with AC after moving fish to the hospital tank, reason was that the tank was medicated, but it was only making things worse which is why I went out to get Pima and Melafix

Fish shows sign of healing, there's black patches on the fins and edge of tail, red patches and streaks still remain. The biggest worry is that fish is still not eating. He has been fasting for more than a week now will try feeding medigold again in the morning.

Well the black could mean that the ammonia burns are healing. A good thing.

I dont' know if using the coral as substrate is a good idea, it does have to be changed occasionallly, won't that be a problem?

Guest Triple3

Well the black could mean that the ammonia burns are healing. A good thing.

I dont' know if using the coral as substrate is a good idea, it does have to be changed occasionallly, won't that be a problem?

I've checked with some local ranchu keepers, almost all of them use ceramic rings, coral chips and wool media in their filter, no problems was reported so far and the coral chips could last for up to 3 months before replacement is required. There are 2 types available in the LFS, larger pieces with very rough surface which I think makes good home for BBs, and the smaller sized and smooth ones pictured above. I'm using a mixture of both, and PH is stable at 7.4 since yesterday after a 15% water change. Will monitor PH on a regular basis.

Good news! Fish is finally eating after fasting for more than a week. Tried force feeding with medigold last week but he spat everything out. Tried my luck today and no spitting of food which is what I've been hoping for. Will continue with medigold, pimafix and melafix treatment until fish is good enough to search for food on it's own.

Guest Triple3

I think I'm losing my fish.

The Pimafix and Melafix combo treatment ended and I did a 25% wtaer change as instructed. About 2 hours later, I saw what may be signs that my fish would be leaving me soon. Dropsy. Body is inflated with scales sticking out like a pine cone. Have read in many forums that dropy is usually fatal so I'm not holding up too much hope, just wondering if I should euthanize my fish or do the best I can in providing the best care until he's gone.

I'm losing him. :(

I am sorry to hear this new news.

Yes dropsy can be fatal, but if you jump on it quick you have a slim chance of pulling them thru.

Koko helped me with my oranda that dropsied and I pulled her out of it twice, only to have her succumb 8 mos later..........but still that gave me more time with her.

First thing you want to do is remove all meds and salt from the tank. (if there is salt). If you are not sure how to do this let me know.

Next, you will need Maracyn 1 and 2. Epsom salt, a heater and Metromed food. (medigold will do in a pinch but it is better to have metromed)

Slowly raise the temp in the tank to 80F (and if you can use a hospital tank so the other fish are left alone)

2 degrees an hour is good.

Add the epsom salt in the tank.........dose is 1/8 tsp (teaspoon) per 5 gallons of water. Make sure you are not using this salt with aqua salt.

This will help draw the fluid off the fish. If by the second day you are not seeing any less swelling you can add this dose of salt again to the tank. But only twice total, no more than that.

You'll want to start with the Maracyn2 med. Add this to the tank as soon as you can. Give the full 5 day round of meds. (do water changes only as required and add back any epsom salt or med you remove with these changes).

Maracyn's can hurt your cycle, so just be aware of that.

Now the whole time you should be feeding the Metromed foods. As much as the fish will eat several times a day.

I had to feed my fish every 2 hours to keep her strength up.

You'll have to feed this food for a minimum of 21 days. 30 is better though. Nothing else.

After the 5 day round of Maracyn 2 you will run carbon in the tank for 24 hours to remove that med. This gives the fish a break from any meds (doing a water change is also a good thing at this time).

After the 24 hour "clean" period you will need to run a 5 day round of Maracyn 1.

Hopefully by this time you will see slight improvement in the fish.

With dropsy it takes what seems like forever to see real improvement, but if the fish stabilizes and doesn't get worse, that is improvement with dropsy.

Good luck and keep us posted. I will move your thread back to the 911 section to keep a close eye on it.

Guest Triple3

What post? ?

I moved you topic back to the 911 section so it has urgent attention on it.

Or do you mean you posted a reply and now it isn't there?

2 replys. Funny it wasn't around. Nevermind could have been a problem with the connection.

Reply 1 was asking about how to remove salt from the tank. Is it to do a 100% water change?

Reply 2 was asking about how high are the chances of fish pulling through as fish may have been suffering from dropsy for 1 or 2 days before I discovered it on the fish. My big worry is on damages to the kidney, if it's so, I'll rather put my fish to sleep and end it's suffering.

Sometimes it does seem we reply and it disappears.

Yes to remove the salt you want to do a 150% water change, but not all at once obviously. Do 50% about 8 hours apart until you have changed 150%. Then you can be sure all salt is gone.

To be honest it is hard to tell. You are the best one to answer that question as hard as it is. If you think the fish is suffering too much and doesn't want to fight then it may be time.

What I personally go by is if the fish is fighting in some way. Then I will give it a chance. However do not feel guilty if euthanasia is what you feel is best. As a vet tech, I deal with this daily. It is a personal decision one no one can make for you. We can simply give our "opinions" but in the end it is you and the fish.

Guest Triple3

How are things going today?

Thanks Laurie for your help. I had a lot of problems trying to post replies, three of my posts didn't get through, despite changing between IE7 and Firefox.

Ok, my fish is not eating on it's own, has to be hand fed. Does holding a fish in one hand while trying to feed it with the other cause any stress to it? this was what I'm doing during the combo treatment, so I'm wondering if I could have been the cause of my fish's current situation.

It seems terribly weak, does swim around on it's own and then will stay still, it's breathing is slow, very slow as if it's going into hibernation. Body seems to have shown a little improvement, at least not as inflated now.

Will continue treatment and monitoring.

Hand feeding like that can be stressful, however without food he isn't going to keep strength up to fight. So it is necessary, just try to be as gentle as possible.

What is the temp of the tank?

Archived