Pippa Dieeeeeeeeeeeed!

Guest pisces

i went to check on my 2 hermit crabs yesterday, and i noticed bob newberri was hiding in a corner, as he had been for the past few hours. But it was unusual because bob newberri and pippa are unseperable and are found side by side everywhere they go.

I thought bob newberri was acting unusual, but i thought it wasn't a big deal, he's probably going to molt...but when i looked at pippa, she was pretty far out of her shell, but looked mostly normal. When i reached in the tank to take her out, she didn't even retreat into her shell and wasn't moving at ALL. :unsure: then it occured to me that pippa was dead! Why did she die? She looked completely normal, and was moving around and climbing as much as she always did. Can anyone shed some light on why poor little pippa died? :cry1

I am sorry to hear this. While I can't help you, I know nothing about crabs or snails, it is so sad to lose them. I am sure someone can help you figure out what happened.

Hi Pisces,sorry to hear about pippa.Those guys are wild caught,which makes it tough to begin with.They also need high maintainance care,to keep them alive and healthy.I have also lost a few during molting because they're just so fragile.I don't quite know all your crab's background to give you an answer,just wanted to say that I'm sorry for your loss.

:cry1 Oh Im so sorry to hear that. :cry1 I have lost a few recently too and it's awful. How long did you have Pippa and where did you get her? Some pet stores and some collectors handle them so roughly that they really just don't stand a chance. I have bought several all from the same batch and some make it and some just don't.

Can you tell me a little about your crab set up? Maybe I can help you from there.

BTW I love your username, I'm a pisces too. :)

:( I am so sorry to read about Pippa! :cry1 I know how sad you must feel! I have always loved hermit crabs but do not know how to keep them, but I am sure you will get the help you need to make sure the other one is OK.

Hope you are feeling better soon! :heart

• 4 weeks later...

thanks every one :cry1 .She was just so small and tiny! and adorable...

Poor Pippa, and poor you. :heart

You say she was tiny which may in itself be a clue, tiny ones are often very fragile and not as hardy as the golfball sized ones unfortunately. They are just too sweet though.

Oh, so sorry to hear about that :cry1 . My sister and I have just started keeping hermit crabs and we lost one early on, they are so cute, it's hard to see them die.

If you have everything in the tank right (humidity, temp, ect) I doubt it was anything you did, sometimes these things just happen :(

Chrissy

Archived