Sign in to follow this  
kristysweets

What Kind Of Fish Is This?

I don't have a pic of it, but I keep seeing these cuties at nnnnnn, but I don't see a card for them so I don't know what they are and I'm hoping someone knows. They are small, bright pink body with little white lines across their body, and I think their fins are white too.

Albino Paradise fish?

Gouram166.jpg

Albino Oscar?

Albino_Oscar3.jpg

Are the stripes horizontal or vertical?

no that's not them, but thanks. The lines are horizontal. They are small fish, of course I'm sure they are babies, I think they are about the size of a neon tetra and their bodies are really pink, you can hardly see the white lines.

GloFish aren't painted fish... they are simply zebra danios whose DNA have been supplemented with a gene from a coral that gives them bright fluorescent colors in their scale's iridocytes. Viewed under a black light or a Reef lightbulb, they actually glow.

Her description did match that of danios but I had no clue they came in those colors! In my fish encyclopedia the Zebra Danio sounded like what she was talking about but the picture in the book was a green one.

GloFish only recently became commercially available on the market. There's been a lot of furor over them and their sale has been banned in some countries due to the outcry of animal rights activists and some overzealous environmentalists that the practice of transgenics in producing ornamental fish is cruel and inhumane and that the possible release of these danios in the wild constitutes a serious ecological threat... which is silly because GloFish are only as dangerous as regular Danios. (they can't even survive in temperate climates)