Plecs

Limeyron

I've wanted a bristlenose plec for a couple of months now and I'm not sure that I have the room at the moment, but I'm getting impatient. What I need to know is basically what setup I need to keep a BN plec. I've got 2 Comets in a 10UK gallon tank each and both tanks have much more filtration than needed (I like overkill. It's better to be safe than sorry). I've got a Fluval 1 & 3plus in my plastic tank with my smaller fish and they keep the water amazingly clean. In the glass tank with my larger fish, I've got a built in hood filter and another small filter which also keep the water extremely clean. Both tanks have perfect water parameters.

The plastic tank has a total filtration of 235 GPH, so it is filtered about 23 times per hour. The glass tank I'm not too sure about because I can't find the paperwork at the moment, but if I can get a plec, he will go in the plastic tank with the smaller fish and better filtration.

Obviously, if it turns out that the target tank still isn't right for adding a plec, I'll wait til I can afford to upgrade next summer. It's just killing me to wait. You all know what it's like when you've already got a couple of fish. It's so hard not to buy another one, especially when there's a ton of them 5 minutes walk from my house....

EDIT: Oh, and if it turns out that I can get a plec, which I doubt, what do I need to feed them? I don't really get algae in my tanks...

You can buy pleco food- algae wafers. When small, plecos want lots of veggie type feeding, zhuccini (courgettes) and algae wafers etc. They will also as you know eat leftover sinking fish food pellets. Later, some larger ones have been known to be very aggressive, and may attack fish so be careful what you keep with a pleco :blink: .

You have to be extremely careful about which variety you get and wether it will suit your set-up. I am a beginner too :) . Just got my first plecos a month ago. I was trying to find a link I found interesting that lists the main varieties of plecos, and requirements including temperament,sociability,min tank size (for most thats 20 gallon), availabilty etc. It's at aquariacentral.com but I can't get the exact page. Try there and type in pleco.

Thanks for the info Trinket. I'll take a look at that website and see what they have to say on the issue.

It sounds like I'm gonna have to do a lot of research to see which plec will go with my goldie. I don't want any fighting so I guess I'll have to ask around and see which plecs are more passive.

EDIT:

Looks like I'm gonna have to make some major changes to my setup if I'm getting a plec. Firstly I need a much bigger tank, then I need a completely different setup to keep the plec. That site told me that I need a sandy substrate, but if I'm planning to keep the plec with my Comet, would that work? I don't know if you can have sand with a goldie.....

Really,those only in the Bristlenose family are the best for Goldies.If you look at other Plecs,alot of them will get too big,or have different requirements than Goldies may have.I hate to say it,but your tank is allready too small for your Comet,so I really wouldn't consider adding anything else until you upgrade the tank size.

Really,those only in the Bristlenose family are the best for Goldies.If you look at other Plecs,alot of them will get too big,or have different requirements than Goldies may have.I hate to say it,but your tank is allready too small for your Comet,so I really wouldn't consider adding anything else until you upgrade the tank size.

Thanks Devs. I know you're right about the water volume. I'm saving for a bigger tank but it's taking ages! Plus I've gotta re-arrange EVERYTHING in my room to accomodate it. It's so frustrating when you've got fish and you're unemployed! All I wanna do is constantly change things around, buy new stuff and get new fish...

If I was still doing that maintenance job, I'd have about 200 gallons in the house already and my room would be like a giant aquaruim. Just think, nearly ?1000 spare each month to spend on my little fishies....

:rofl Hey,I work,but seem to only make enough to pay the rent and care for the fish,so I know how you must feel.I've spent tons of money through the years on "impulse buying" and decorations,and then finding out they weren't what I was looking for.I've learned to be a bit more patient,and buy one thing at a time if I have too,until I get all the right stuff the first time around.I got another 75 gal. last summer,and I'm only getting ready to set it up now,because of waiting and money.Good luck,hopefully the new tank goes on sale and you can get it sooner. :exactly

:rofl Hey,I work,but seem to only make enough to pay the rent and care for the fish,so I know how you must feel.I've spent tons of money through the years on "impulse buying" and decorations,and then finding out they weren't what I was looking for.I've learned to be a bit more patient,and buy one thing at a time if I have too,until I get all the right stuff the first time around.I got another 75 gal. last summer,and I'm only getting ready to set it up now,because of waiting and money.Good luck,hopefully the new tank goes on sale and you can get it sooner. :exactly

Believe it or not, my current situation is the best it's been for a couple of years so I should be more appreciative, but it still sucks compared to what I had before I screwed it all up :(

I get enough money to pay my rent and look after my fish too, but I bet you get a fair bit more than me to play with. Unemployment over here doesn't pay much, unless you come here from another country and feed them a load of bull, then they give you loads of money and a place to live. You won't believe this, but if someone comes here seeking asylum, the government doesn't let them work. How messed up is that? They actually refuse them permission to earn money....

Anyway, I'm in a dodgy mood so I won't get into politics and the government, otherwise Koko will revoke my membership. I'll just say one thing...My government sucks!

I know what you mean about being more patient. When I want something, I want it yesterday! I have absolutely no patience and I'm twice as bad when it comes to getting stuff for the fish. I think it'll be quite a while before I get the tank that I want. I want a 100 gallon but aside from the money, there's nowhere to store it :(

I've made matters worse for myself because I'm collecting info about Bristlenose Plecs, Bettas and Minnows. I'm gonna have spare tanks when I upgrade and I plan to fill them quickly. The prospect of new fish, especially ones that I've never seen in the flesh, is making me even more impatient so I think I need to slow things down a bit otherwise I'll end up keeping my fish in the kitchen sink!

Archived