Close One! Phew!

Levi

My heater just had a short and filled up with water and blew up!!! :ignore I am so lucky my fish didnt die!!!! I have one fish in it currently it is a 29 gallon tank.... It scared me so much!!!!Thank god my fish didnt die!! We were thinking about getting one that just stays at one temp.. What do u guyz think

Levi

I hate when that happens and I've lost a few of them recently for issues like that and the fact that some of them were just old. :krazy: My best advice would be to get an adjustable one ,that way you can use it for different types of tanks/fish.In summer months you can take it off or just turn it down---in winter add a bit more heat or even when they're sick and being treated,they sometimes need warmer temps.Those things can be quite costly,but in the long run go with the best one that you can afford.I've done alot of researching on them-which has helped me look at all +_'s and -'s,about them. :)

Ok thanx for the reply!! I will get the adjustable ones!! The only set back for me is that they are so easy to adjust! They can dramtically increase within a little touch of the knob!! But i still like them!! Bye

Levi

Levi - Question - Why do you need a heater at all? Goldies aren't tropical. If you keep your house at around 70 degrees, plus have an overhead light, you shouldn't need additional heat. Without a heater, it won't short, or, fail to shut off and cook your fish. Keep it simple.

Dennis

One problem Dennis they arent in my house they are at my grandpas shop!!! My mom is a clean freak and she "thinks" that they stink!!! So it gets down to about 40 degrees and i like to keep it above seventy!! i dont kno y but i like it alot better??!But you do have a point

Levi

one time i was changing the water in my tank and i left the heater on...the water level got too low and i guess the glass was really hot. while i was changing the water, i was splashing the water around and POP. the glass on the heater cracked...scared the crap outta me

As Devs stated, as expensive as they are, the better quality heaters are truly worth the money. They will last much longer - longer than 2-3 of the cheaper heaters. So they usually end up being "cheaper" in the long run.

I like the titanium fully submersible ones with the thermostat that is outside the tank. These have no glass to break.

Having a heater available for a tank can come in very handy - for many treatments for ill fish are dramatically improved with heat. Dramatically changing temperatures can occasionally cause problems in fish - as in an outdoor area where the temp swings night and day, and different temps can be used to prevent or cause breeding behavior.

A "loose" current in a tank is not deadly to the fish until you stick your hand or something else into the tank and complete the circuit. You are lucky.

If you have not read this article about grounding your tank, it is a good idea that you give it some thought. It is not hard or expensive and can be a life saver.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=41152

Archived