Swimbladder?

dana

Amonia-0, Nitrite-0, ph-7.6, Kh- 160, Gh-180, 10 gals-6 months, Aquaclear 150, 60% waterchange every saturday, 1 2 inch common, Prime, no, no, Nutrafin Max flakes soaked and peas, no, swimming tilted 45 dergrees to the left.

Hi! My common Gdfish, Nemo, has been swimming slightly tilted to the left, at about a 45 degree angle for the last week or so. I wonder if it's the beginning of swim bladder problems. I always soak his flake food before feeding him, and he gets peas on a regular basis. Just to be on the safe side, i am fasting him for four days, and then i will feed him peas for a week.

Any other ideas/suggestions? Thank you!

Dana.

Hi Dana, sorry to hear your little one isn't doing well.

I am curious to know what the nitrate levels are. I would recommend testing for that, as we know nitrates can aggravate SBD. Anything above 20-40 and you can get problems.

Post back soon.

Oops! My bad - in the answers to the top box questions, i meant nitrAtes not nitrItes! I always get those two mixed up. My Nitrate levels are 0.

But i'm not sure if it is swimbladder. I've never dealt with it before. I'm not sure that i know the signs. He's not upsidedown or anything, just slightly tilted. He's eating fine, and seems just as happy as a clam. But it's unusual, and i'd like to nip anything in the bud beore it becomes a problem.

I can send a pic, if you think it would help?

Thanks for replying!

Dana.

A picture is always good, you can use photobucket.com for it. Just post the link to the pic in here so we can take a look.

Ok, so the nitrates are 0, that isn't good. Which means you are having water issues.

Just to make sure we are on the same page post all the params again. thanks.

A tilt could be SBD, or a tumor of some kind. But more often than not it is SBD.

Post back soon and we can go from there

Ok, I double checked my tests, and i was right in the first place - the water params are:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Ph: 7.6

Kh 160

Gh 180

I'm sorry about my confusion - between my son, husband and i, we are in 3 choirs and 1 orchestra. Christmas is an insane time of year for musicians, and we are in the middle of our concert season. That means that from last week to next week we have a total of 12 dress rehearsals and 8 concerts to attend. I have to admit that my mind is more full of Faure than fish right now!

Anyway,I don't have a kit to test Nitrates. I looked for one today, but neither lps had one. Nemo is now on day 3 of his fast, and he's looking a little less tilted! So that's a good thing. Today i noticed a long, thin sringy white poo with some zig zag action. Looked like air bubbles to me. Starting Monday he'll get peas for a week. And maybe i'll up the waterchanges? I think that waterchanges can never hurt, right? If nitrates are a problem, will waterchanges take care of that? If so, i'll keep on it!

I'm off to my choir concert #2 - i'm principal soloist for the Haydn, so i've got to down my signature pre-singing meal (greasiest hamburger and onion rings i can get my hands on). But when i get home, i'll take a photo and post.

Thanks for being there, LaurieP!

Dana.

ok - home from my concert (2 down, 6 to go) and i'm not posting a pic because Nemo looks completely normal! So i think the fasting and vigilant waterchanges are doing the trick. I'll still do peas for a week, but how can i prevent thisf rom happening in the future?

Dana.

My you have a busy schedule!!

During the week it is important to find a test for the nitrates. High nitrates can make fish sick, so this is vital to their health.

Yes water changes will help with high nitrates. Since they are the last in the biocycle, the only thing to control or remove them from the tank are changes. So I would bump up your water changes a bit. (I know going to be more busy in your schedule).

I am glad that he is better, if he were my fish though I wouldn't do a whole week of peas. I would do 3-4 days of them then a 2 day fast again.

The white poo concerns me a bit, especially with the zig zag part. This can be a sign of a female who had problems with eggs. A dangerous thing. So watch out for anymore of that.

good luck on your schedule!

Hmmm, thanks for the insight on egg problems. I'll keep my eyes open for any more warning signs. And i'll up the water changes. I don't mind really - i've got it down to a science now. A nitrate test will have to be shipped from the closest city to us ( a three hour drive through THE MOST DANGEROUS section of the transcanada hwy - not to be attempted in winter unless road conditions are PERFECT, which they are not. My friend had a baby last week, and i haven't been able to see her yet, and it's killing me!) As for the crazy busy schedule, i actually thrive on it - and it's only once a year. So - peas for three or four days only. Got it. We start tomorrow. Wish us luck! Thaks for all the help LaurieP!

Dana

Well, we tried peas today after a 4 day fast, and suprisingly, he didn't seem too interested. Nemo isn't a huge pea lover, but has been known to chow them down on occasion. So, no poop to examine, and thus no poop report. I also did a massive 75% waterchange today, and will repeat on wednesday. He's looking a little more tilted today than yesterday, but it is still better that it was before i fasted him. Ofcourse i use the words "he" and "him" in the loosest meaning of the term possible. I have no idea if Nemo is male or female.

On another note, i have just returned from concert #3 (3 down, three to go) which was my 5 year old son's 1st ever choir performance. He was an absolute horror show, and i had to remove him fom the stage twice, and from the building once - and then we walked home. I was ready to die of embarrasment. He was just totally goofing around, and being a general comedian, but he was pretty out of control.

So after i dealt with him, i cried, and then sat watching Nemo swim around, and feeling my blood pressure return to normal. And then i said to my husband that we should've had just fish, and no kids. He laughed. I don't think he realised that at that momment i was completely serious.

Hooray for fish!

Dana.

Hi!

Nemo Update: Still swimming a little on the tilted side. Back to eating regular soaked food as of today. Should have a nitrate test by the 23rd. Still feeding peas in the eve. Doing waterchanges every other day. He seems alright otherwise.

Concert #4: Resounding success by 5 year old stage freak. I guess 24 hours of yelling at said child served it's purpose. now i just have to hold my breath through the orchestra performance, and the school concert. Although, it will be difficult to hold my breath whilst playing the flute. Maybe my husband can throw a trumpet at him - if he starts acting up with his wee violin! 4 down, 2 to go!

Wish us all luck (including Nemo!)

Dana.

I do wish you, and Nemo, lots of luck! That fish is so cute and I have had a couple of concerts too before Christmas, so I know how it is!

I do wish you, and Nemo, lots of luck! That fish is so cute and I have had a couple of concerts too before Christmas, so I know how it is!

Thanks Annette! What kind of concerts? Do you sing? Play an instrument? I play flute (the sideways kind, not the up and down kind that you call a flute in sweden - we call that instrument a recorder.) My husband plays trumpet, and my five year old plays violin. The two year old doesn't play anything. Yet!

Dana.

Archived