Sick Fish (hexamita?)

Guest swimmingoranda

Guest swimmingoranda

I bought an Oranda about 1 month ago. I was pleased with his size, shape and he comes from a local breeder, which is nice.

At first he was active and fascinating to watch. Then after a few days he developed this incredible large blister on his "cheek" -- the right side of his face. It was red, angry and to tell you the truth, I wouldn't be happy if I had something like that on my face. He became lethargic and sad, the blister grew and grew. He did eat, but that was his only activity.

Then the blister started to ooze. Grotesque is a good way to put it. After a day or so the wound was a large gaping hole where the blister was. Hexamita (Hole-in-the-head) was all I could think of. His poop has always been stringy and clear.

I did some reading (I'm new at this) and treated the tank with "General Cure". The girl at the pet shop (an experienced, noteworthy local store) gave me some advice. She made the thumb across the throat motion. Let him die then get a new fish. I thought that was cruel.

Meanwhile, his wound looked like it was healing, still gross to look at, but nothing like it was at its worst. The tank is at .3% with salt and all water chemistry is closely monitored and I have not had any trouble. I do frequent water changes and keep things clean.

He was well for about 2 weeks or so. Now, his fins are starting to look damaged or frayed, lethargy is back and yet again the cheek is starting to get a red hue to it and it is starting to grow, as in "bulge" like the blister growth of a few weeks ago.

I've ordered Metro-Med and I'm waiting patiently for its delivery. It will be here after the weekend.

Any advice or words of wisdom? Any experience? If you have anything, please share.

Sorry for the long, long post.

-Chris

Guest swimmingoranda

IMPORTANT DETAILS

I neglected to add this information on my original post:

- All water parameters are good -- nothing unusual to report

- 2 Orandas (3in & 2.5in) in a 29 gallon tank -- fully cycled, running for 2 months.

- Top Fin 30 filter

- Weekly water changes ~15 - 20%

- Fish are fed "sinking sticks", flakes that are pre-soaked before feeding and blood worms

-Chris

Hi Chris and welcome to our forum.Sorry to hear that your fish is unwell.

Could you post exact water params if you don't mind-just so we have figures in our mind to see and work with. :)

Usually,any time you see a red spot like that ,it is a bacterial infection and needs to be treated immediately.Sounds like the General Cure was trying to help but just didn't have enough "Oompf" to rid the fish of it completely.

Ordering the medicated food was a great idea.Rick normally sends it the next day,2 at the longest so hopefully it comes quickly.You want to feed the fish twice a day ,and let it eat as much as it can in about a 2 minute time frame.If you want,you can throw an occasional soft cooked pea into it,to keep the fish regulated.

Continue keeping pristene water params,as once fish get an open ulcer,it's very easy for them to go into a secondary infection.

You may want to look into a better filter for your fish also-As these fish grow,you'll find that this filter may not continue to keep up with all their waste.

How often do you gravel vac the bottom?

Guest swimmingoranda

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level = .25

Nitrite Level = .5

Nitrate level = 20

Ph Level = 7.8

Are the ammonia and nitrite levels too high??

I vacuum the gravel with each water change.

I'm in Canada and have ordered the Metro-Meds via the Fish Sempai (as recommended by Rick at the Golfish Connection). I checked the tracking number and am expecting the Metro-Meds to be here on Monday.

In the meantime...

The filter I have is from the tank kit I bought, shortly after I became incredibly obsessed and connected to the fish. I've done alot of research in the past 2 months and found the missing hobby in my life.

Anyway, I'm wondering if a Penguin Bio-Wheel 170 for my 29 gallon tank would be better. (Click here to see the one I'm talking about if you need.)

Is it better to have a filter rated for a 50 gallon tank in my 29 gallon tank?

Any advice?

-Chris

Hey Chris,in truth,I would personally use the Penguin 350 myself.I also have an Emperor 400 on another 30 gallon.Sounds like alot of filtration and movement,but believe me as your fish grow,they'll need it.These sizes are powerful and yet don't toss my fish all over.They're also great for adding extra media in them-which I love. :D All my tanks are over the recommended 10x's filtration which really helps me.

As for your readings,any time that you are having Nitrate readings,you want to make sure to keep Ammonia and Nitrates at 0,anything over that needs some water changes to bring it down.Low #'s are okay during cycling as it's part of the process of cycling,but once you cycle,those #'s need to be at 0 for healthy fish.

We have alot of Canadians that deal with Fish Sempai(and Americans) so they're fine.

Your Nitrates at 20 are good.It's best to keep them there or better yet,under 20,but going any higher can eventually cause problems.

Guest swimmingoranda

Thank you for all this advice! I appreciate it very much!

I can see the benefits of having the Penguin 350... but my major concern is the current that would produce. The poor fish would be doing cartwheels, wouldn't they? I imagine that would only be fun for a little while.

I read in a few different places that strong current can be a problem for fish. It's like being on a treadmill 24/7. Don't they end up hunkering down on the bottom?

-Chris

:) I've had the smallest of goldies in these tanks,and have never had any sort of problems.Now if it would come to maybe a Bubble Eye,orany others that may need extra care,I'd test it out on them first.There are also other ways of getting that bigger filtration and yet not having it rage like Rapids.Some Filters have levers to control the volume of water flowing.In some of my Tropical tanks,I place big ornaments and/or group plantings(real or fake) to help settle the flow down a bit,but I've really never had to do that on a goldfish tank. :)

Guest swimmingoranda

And so yesterday night, the other Oranda in the aquarium was acting very unlike himself. Sitting on the bottom, all droopy and sad. I took a close look and saw a long (5") white, stringy poop.

Great, so now both my Orandas are taking a dive.

Since I'm waiting for the food to show up and things didn't looks so good, I figured I'd add another dose of General Cure to the tank. I mean, what could happen?

This morning, both fish are swimming around fine, happy and playful. Good. Brings me joy.

I've ordered a new filter and it'll be here early next week as well.

-Chris

Sometimes it seems like when it rains it pours chris.It's bad enough when one fish is sick. :(

As for the General Cure,I would have probably added it myself until the food arrived.Often times one round of Meds may not be enough to do the trick anyway.

Your fish are at least showing signs that all is more positive. :) Glad to hear that they're swimming about more.Fins are crossed for you and your guys. :heart

Archived