Tetras

selena685

I'm going to be upgarding my tropical tank. I have 6 neon tetras and was think of adding another two but a different type. Do they prefer to be with the same breed or can you mix them up?

So you want 8 tetras? not another two groups?

If you only want two more then get the same kind. If you want another group then you would be best to get at least 4 and 6 if you can.

As for a different kind, then anything really that catches your eye.

I agree with Sandy, it's great to have two different types of tetras and watch them form little schools. I've kept a few different kinds together and so far they've all gotten along. You should have groups of at least four but I currently have a group of three black skirts who seem very happy. There are such a variety of tetras, making coummunity tanks for them can be great fun, good luck!

Chrissy

I'll get 4 then. Thank you for the advice. I will be upgrading to a 10 gallon so I'm worried about overcrowding. 10 tetras should be ok

If you're sticking with just neons then 10 will be ok, but if you're adding another species I wouldn't recommend it in a 10g. Most tetras get much bigger than neons and produce a lot more waste. Besides there really isn't enough room in a 10g for a good school of most tetras.

Archived